So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try a Vienna Lager, similar to Negra Modelo.

Then I will be doing a Traditional Bock, which is now in the 6C - Dunkles Bock in thew 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines.

I am also going to try a decoction mash for this one.

Yea, I'll be brewing but it won't be nearly as fancy as you vets! I'll be making an Amber Ale Extract Kit. It was my first brewing attempt that was an utter failure so I'm going back to get it right (I have a wife ready to give birth to child number 2 and she loves Amber beers so by the time its ready she should be able to enjoy).

I feel so lame even saying that's what I'm making!!!

You shouldn't feel lame by saying you're brewing this. Most all of us start with extract kits.

I'll be brewing my first All Grain kit not first all grain brew. I won Yooper's Dogfishhead clone kit but am concerned because it just isn't an exact match of her recipe.

Yea, I'll be brewing but it won't be nearly as fancy as you vets! I'll be making an Amber Ale Extract Kit. It was my first brewing attempt that was an utter failure so I'm going back to get it right (I have a wife ready to give birth to child number 2 and she loves Amber beers so by the time its ready she should be able to enjoy).

I feel so lame even saying that's what I'm making!!!

Don't sweat the small stuff man. Be thankful you have a healthy family and a new baby coming soon.
I've been a all grain brewer from day one but when time is short like it was this past month or so working 60+hrs a week and two littles ones at home I brewed up a Amber Ale this past Sunday. Used DME and crisp crystal rye. Bittered with Columbus finished with cascade and fermenting with Wyeast 1450.
May not be the same as it would be if I were to brew it AG but I will bet my left nut that it's gonna be a very drinkable beer!!
Cheers and Congrats on the new baby!

What should I brew this sat? Pref something that can use my WLP001 or 1318 slurries. Something on the more dry and mild side. About done with 10gal of Dark English Mild so probably won't be rebrewing that yet. Would do a dark lager but too lazy to build a starter...

Extract Batch #3 for the 3rd Sunday is a row is going to be the NB Bourbon Barrel Porter this weekend. Received my stir plate from stirstarter.com today so I'm excited (haha) to start my first yeast starter tonight. There's so much info out there on starters I've had a headache stressing on which to do, but regardless, it doesn't seem like anything to be stressed about so I'm jumping in. Thanks for all the information and help you all so generously give!

What should I brew this sat? Pref something that can use my WLP001 or 1318 slurries. Something on the more dry and mild side. About done with 10gal of Dark English Mild so probably won't be rebrewing that yet. Would do a dark lager but too lazy to build a starter...

English bitter with the 1318

I've got a Thames Valley II starter cranking. Tomorrow I'm brewing up a 6.5 gallon batch of my version of the Ol' Bitter Bastard from the recipe section.

Brew pumps broken... Stuck till new ones arrive. Hope to be tasting the Caribou Slobber tho!

Hoping to break my slump this weekend; need to pick up a big bag of 2row and a few odds and ends on Saturday, and then planning on brewing a 11gal all-grain batch of Rye IPA. Using centennial/amarillo in the boil/flameout respectively, and splitting the fermentation into 2 6gal carboys and dry hopping one with simcoe and the other with galaxy.

First kit I am doing in quite some time - North Brewer's Off the Topper AG kit. Got the Vermont Ale yeast and plan to make a slant from it to use in the future. If this recipe turns out good, I can pull together my own ingredients for the batches to come.

Maibock using WPL833. Just put the starter in the fridge to crash. Haven't decided if Saturday or Sunday, but it will be one or the other.

You shouldn't feel lame by saying you're brewing this. Most all of us start with extract kits.

I'll be brewing my first All Grain kit not first all grain brew. I won Yooper's Dogfishhead clone kit but am concerned because it just isn't an exact match of her recipe.

Oh I know. You can't get experience until you get it and this site has certainly made my brain swell with sweet delicious homebrew knowledge! Thanks for the kind words.

Doing a Maris Otter/Amarillo SMaSH. I plan on doing several SMaSH recipes over the next few weeks to help "train" my tastes. Will be pitching wyeast 1272 from my first attempt at yeast harvesting/washing.

I don't have anything hoppy ready to drink right now yet I have lots of hops leftover from the 2014 harvest. So I'm going to make something with lots and lots of simcoe and mosaic and a bit of el dorado and centennial. Maybe use up the pearl malt I have and throw a little cane sugar in there...something I have never done but seems like a popular technique to dry out double ipas and let the hops shine.

Picked up the ingredients for Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone (ii) today. Will brew tomorrow evening after wife leaves for night shift.

I haven't brewed since last late Oct./early November. I have a recipe ready for a Fluffernutter Sammie Stout, but I haven't a way to control fermentation accurately and I think I have my stout fails down to S-04 yeast and temps in the mid 70's as the culprits in the tangy, metallic flavors and eventual overcarbing issues. I keep putting it off, because I have access to an old, small chest freezer that I could convert...but SWMBO isn't happy with any possible spot to locate it. Ugh.

I haven't brewed since last late Oct./early November. I have a recipe ready for a Fluffernutter Sammie Stout, but I haven't a way to control fermentation accurately and I think I have my stout fails down to S-04 yeast and temps in the mid 70's as the culprits in the tangy, metallic flavors and eventual overcarbing issues. I keep putting it off, because I have access to an old, small chest freezer that I could convert...but SWMBO isn't happy with any possible spot to locate it. Ugh.

what about out back under an awning or something to that effect? Do you have a shed? There is almost nothing more important to the final product than fermentation temp control.

My kettle is a little full.

12647070_10208833177013479_6870381489107294780_n.jpg

https://youtu.be/kh6wICCA4W4

I just bottled 3 gallons of stout (was supposed to be a porter, but the LHBS sold be coffee malt instead of brown, so I'm changing the name)

Planning to brew something lighter and lower alky tomorrow. Haven't decided exactly what yet; I have several on my backlog.

Currently mashing my first ever RIS! I based it on the 888 RIS recipe on brewtoad. Hoping to hit 1.095 OG. Ferment with S-33 and bottle age until fall (or later, since my birthday is in December). Only making a gallon though, in case I make garbage.

Got the Maibock done and into the fermenter. Boiled off just bit too much, shooting for 1.067, and ended right at the top of the style.

image11.jpg

Found some Mountmellick cans on sale for $10, so brewing up a 5 gal batch of brown ale with the recommended addition of DME, 6 oz of brown sugar (that's what was left) 8 0z of MD, Safale S-4 and will add 4 oz of root beer extract before bottling. The RB extract has sodium benzoate in it, but I think the yeast will have enough ooomph left to carbonate. Going into regular 12 oz bottles, but if it comes out ok, next batch goes in to some 6-7 oz Coke bottles I have, and in to my vintage coke machine.

what about out back under an awning or something to that effect? Do you have a shed? There is almost nothing more important to the final product than fermentation temp control.
I think I may be wearing SWMBO down...we'll see. There's a small deck, but no working power source and there's a an overly energetic dog. Same lack of power under carport and clutter that needs to be eliminated. That's a possibility, but I need to have an outlet installed. I don't want to rely on chance or up and down temps with a swamp cooler. *sigh* I'll get there, eventually.

Took the weekend off from brewing. But I installed a drip irrigation system for my hops. Realized how easy it was, so the raised bed gardens got one too.

Just racked my wheat onto strawberries. This will be my first attempt at a fruit beer. I fermented the wheat at a higher temp for more banana flavor, so hopefully I end up with a strawberry-banana.

Finally I have beer in all three kegs in the kegerator, So now I am brewing another blonde as that just disapears. I hope I can keep a brew ready for the kegs in a fermentor or I just need to buy another Keg.:mug:

Latest posts

Back