Questions about how to make small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one seems pretty obvious...but figured i'd ask before i get into it. I've made a 5 gallon batch of the original recipe apfelwein, and it's not for me. It lacks an apple flavor, and tastes more like a dry wine than a hard apple cider (not that it's bad..just not what I was looking forward to)

So...rather than do another 5 gallon batch and decide i again don't like it, i'd like to do several 1 gallon batches. I'll be buying several 1 gallon carboys to do 1 gallon batches. I would like to try two different kinds of apple juice, and a few different types of yeast, as well as adding cans of concentrate.

I was going to add 3 cans of concentrate to a 5 gallon batch, but that makes the math tricky (not literally, but dividing up a can into 2/3 'precisely' could get tricky...and messy... Would I be safe planning on 1 can per gallon (just to simplify the test batches)

Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration when 'scaling up' a batch?

Can i split a wyeast packet for two 1 gallon batches?

Have you thought about not adding any fermentables to your apple juice? I can't offer any advice on scaling batches that follow the original recipe, but if obtaining a high ABV % is of no concern to you then maybe you'd be better off doing what I'm doing. My cider is being fermented using Wyeast 3068, which will poop out before it even gets close to 1.000 leaving behind more sweetness and apple flavour according to what I've read. Back Sweetening with Splenda could also help your cause but I think the lower ABV and higher FG is key to having a less-dry and stronger apple flavour in the finished product.

- Newb signing out!

So...rather than do another 5 gallon batch and decide i again don't like it, i'd like to do several 1 gallon batches. I'll be buying several 1 gallon carboys to do 1 gallon batches. I would like to try two different kinds of apple juice, and a few different types of yeast, as well as adding cans of concentrate.

I did the same thing but used the apple juice container with an airlock in the cap.

I was going to add 3 cans of concentrate to a 5 gallon batch, but that makes the math tricky (not literally, but dividing up a can into 2/3 'precisely' could get tricky...and messy... Would I be safe planning on 1 can per gallon (just to simplify the test batches)

You can cut the concentrate in half. Make four 1 gallon batches and put half in each batch. Not exact but close and less hassle.

Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration when 'scaling up' a batch?

Not that I can think of at the moment

Can i split a wyeast packet for two 1 gallon batches?

You can make a starter than divide it up.

Back