belgian candy substitute.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go to Walmart and grab a 3lb jar of Demorara sugar. That should work and they are like 4 bucks.

A pound of cane sugar with enough water to make syrup and a small splash of lemon juice, all boiled slowly for 10 minutes makes invert sugar. Pretty much the same as candi sugar only a lot cheaper. It's all I ever use now when the recipe calls for candi sugar. If it calls for dark candi, just cook it until it gets dark. Just be careful not to burn it.

It's just the plain old white table sugar you keep in the kitchen for everyday use.

that's not totally accurate. plain 'ol table sugar could be beet sugar. C&H brand sugar is always pure cane sugar. bakers prefer cane sugar for some reason. i'm not sure of the difference in taste when it comes to brewing, but belgian candy sugar made in belgium is probably made from beet sugar, as most sugar made in europe is from beets. the last belgian i made i used invert sugar i made from cane sugar. turned out fine.

Back