HomeBrew Grapefruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxmuldar

Reaction score
Can you make homebrew from grapefruits? If so....how?

Thanks,
foxmuldar:mug:

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was....can you make wine from grapefruits? if so....how?

ewww gross Grapefruits!

Check the wine forums. I can't think of a way to do it turn it into beer unless you are just going to flavor a beer with Grapefruit.

Why?:confused:

If you want a grapefruit flavored beer just follow a standard IPA recipe and use only Chinook and Cascade hops.

Dr Malt;)

I'm about to attempt a grapefruit wine with a friend, a semi-sweet or dessert (we're going to make the final call soon) from the Jack Keller site.

Can anyone tell me if it is wise or foolish to throw the flesh in a blender (after removing the pith and seeds, of course)? I always thought grinding up the fruit more makes it easier for the yeast to ferment it, but will it get all gelatin-y if I do that? Thanks in advance.

I'm about to attempt a grapefruit wine with a friend, a semi-sweet or dessert (we're going to make the final call soon) from the Jack Keller site.

Can anyone tell me if it is wise or foolish to throw the flesh in a blender (after removing the pith and seeds, of course)? I always thought grinding up the fruit more makes it easier for the yeast to ferment it, but will it get all gelatin-y if I do that? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't put it in the blender- use 1 tsp pectic enzyme per gallon, and smoosh up the fruit well. If you use a big mesh bag, you can really smash up the fruit with it a big spoon. When you make wine, it's good to remove the fruit pulp after a few days, once it gives up its goodness. That's be hard to do if you used a blender. You could use a juicer I guess, and just use the juice- but don't use a blender.

When you make wine, it's good to remove the fruit pulp after a few days, once it gives up its goodness. That's be hard to do if you used a blender. You could use a juicer I guess, and just use the juice- but don't use a blender.

Thanks for the advice. I will extract the juice and pulp without pulverizing it.

Instead of using a straining bag, could I just re-rack it and strain it sometime during the first week?

Thanks for the advice. I will extract the juice and pulp without pulverizing it.

Instead of using a straining bag, could I just re-rack it and strain it sometime during the first week?

You could, but you'd probably not get great results. Grapefruit pulp would be very fine, and would be hard to remove without using any kind of a bag. It would probably clog up your siphon, too. You can buy a great big mesh bag and those work really well. It makes it easy to remove the fruit from the primary bucket, too. Just tie all the fruit in the bag, and then lift it out when you're done.

I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer over the holidays. This thing is cool. I could probably juice a bunch of grapefruits. It seperates the juice from the pulp. Maybe I should try a 1-3 gallon batch.

We mixed up a 3 gallon batch of the semi-sweet recipe from the Jack Keller site. We fit 18 grapefruits worth of pulp, plus some skins, and a few raisins, in a "small" nylon straining bag, no problem. We will pitch the yeast tomorrow. I have become enamored with grapefruits this week, and cannot wait until this baby is bubblin' away. I'll try to post an update or two along the way to bottling, and then another one on tasting. Thanks, especially to Yooper, for helping us get this one off the ground.

Back