1st time Corny Kegger Starting Paraphenalia Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
Well Im real close to jumping into the corny pool, but before I make that order for everything I THINK I need, I should try to clarify a few things. I have nobody to visit to see one working in all its glory, so I have to quess about things, and ask on here.
I guess the meat of it all is the quick disconnects and such. I see grey and black that are for liquid and gas. My question, are they not the exact same thing, except for the color coding? I saw premade hoses labeled gas to gas, liquid to liquid, and gas to liquid, and they appear identical to me except for the color of the plastic on the quick releases. I also saw a couple of places that sold just one color, and didnt specify either gas only or liquid only. So, does it matter, or is it to make things easier via color coding Also, for a little 3 or 4 corny setup, do you folks prefer using barbed connections or the threaded flair jobs? Any preferred size, 1/4 over 5/16th or what? Also, do you folks use the same type line for everything, or different for gas flow vs liquid flow?
this is what I was planning to start with. 4 ball lock cornys, a 2 regulator setup, 2 quick releases for each corny (a black and a grey since that appears to be the standard), a 4 port block to split the gas to the four of them, the appropriate amount of hose to do the job, and just to get started, a standard fill handle like you get on those taps that the beer store loans you for their kegs. And of course, the co2 bottle. then the freezer :D
So, am I missing anything, or do I need to ajust what I think I need? My entire knowlege on cornys has come from this forum and its stories and pictures, so, while I think I have it all in grasp, I want to make sure I have everything in order so when I order all this, I dont come up short and have to dink around ordering more things. When you live in the interior of Alaska, you try to get your mail orders right the first time. So, I would appreciate any and all input that will set me on the right track. I just didnt get enough info even with the search feature to be sure of my facts. So, if you would doublecheck my list here and let me know how Im doing, I would sure appreciate it. In essence, I need to see if my basic starter kit I think Ive put together above includes everything you need ceptin beer and co2!
Ill await your reply.
I bid you all a great day!

No. Liquid disconnects fit on liquid OUT posts.
Gas disconnects fit over gas IN posts. the posts are notched differently, and if you manage to get the wrong disconnect on the wrong post...you'll have a hell of a time getting it back off.

serving line diameter is preference based, but also depends on the length of your serving lines. I think smaller lines create MORE resistance (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

gas line diameter doesn't matter. gas doesn't have the same friction as liquid on the hose walls.

You do seem to have your parts in order tho. My keezer uses nothing but basic picnic/cobra taps. easy to use, service, clean and replace.

I kind of like the barbed gas disconnects vs. the compression fitting type.

grey is for gas black is for beer..barbed works fine..1/4'' line fits fine

The disconnects do look alike at a glance but are different and are difficult to get off if you put them on wrong.

I didn't see a you mention a controller for the freezer to turn it on and off at a preset temperature. Freezers are designed to get down to freezing temperatures and will do just that w/out a separate controller.

Ahoy hoy,
Malkore, brewer2 and planenut, many thanks for the quick input. Oh, and planenut, I do have a temp controller. Use it on a dedicated fridge in the summer for my fermenator. So, other then being wrong about the quick disconnects, it appears that I am on the road to oz.
Again thanks pards for the input.
However, I have a new question now. These liquid to liquid, or gas to gas lines they sell, Im assuming you would just connect them to their respective posts, ie: a gas to gas would connect to the gas in on both, or, are the gas one way in valves, and the liquid one way out valves, in which case the gas to gas would actually go from a liquid out to the gas in? Heres what Im talking about. Beverage Jumper Line Beverage Jumper Line [Ball Lock Jumper] - $13.08
I bid you all a great night!

Link wasn't loading, so can't tell you exacts on it. The posts are two way, they're nothing more then a compressed spring seal. When you put the ball lock connects on, there is a metal/plastic pin that presses in the center dot on the post opening it.

You will want your gas lines coming from your manifold to the gas in posts (recommend teflon tape on threaded/screw connections) using the grey gas connections. The black (liquid) connections from the out post to the shank/barb of your tower faucet. Hope this helps!

Only time you would want to got from the out to out connections (using both black liquid connections) would be if you are bleeding a beer from one keg to another. Otherwise, like you said, each to their respective posts.

Also have at least 3 feet of co2 line and 6 feet of beer line minimum even if you don't need it to reach the tap.

Back