Transfering from one keg to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
Can someone walk through the process of transfering beer from one keg to another, preferably using co2 pressure (i.e. not just racking from one to the other)? What sorts of considerations would need to be made if the beer was not chilled to refrigerator temps? How do you know when the keg is getting full (if you are transfering from a larger to a smaller keg)?

Well, you could just open them up and rack them since they are differing sizes.

Or you just attach gas in to keg 1 and a beer line out. On the other end of the beer out line, you put a CO2 keg fitting, and attach it to keg two. That way the beer enters through the down tube. Then you attach a gas in fitting to the gas post on keg 2 to allow the displaced air to exit. That's about it.

Or just rack it ;)

Janx said:
Well, you could just open them up and rack them since they are differing sizes.

Or you just attach gas in to keg 1 and a beer line out. On the other end of the beer out line, you put a CO2 keg fitting, and attach it to keg two. That way the beer enters through the down tube. Then you attach a gas in fitting to the gas post on keg 2 to allow the displaced air to exit. That's about it.

Or just rack it ;)

Janx,

You mad a "whoops." I think you meant:

Attach gas to keg 1 and a beer line out (I imagine the gas line on keg 1 to it's IN port and the beer line on the OUT port). On the other end of the beer out line, you put a BEER OUT fitting and attach it to keg two (via the OUT port of Keg 2). That way the beer enters through the down tube. Then you attach a gas in fitting to the gas post on keg 2 to allow the displaced air to exit.

Your post had two lines going to the same CO2 in port. Also, instead of using the Gas In port to vent, you could just pull the pressure relief valve (if the keg has it) or pop the lid.

I do agree though: if you are just racking from one keg to another, and not filtering it, it would be so much simpler to just use a racking cane.

bikebryan said:
I do agree though: if you are just racking from one keg to another, and not filtering it, it would be so much simpler to just use a racking cane.

Simpler, maybe. However, definitely taking less of a risk by using a jumper from keg to keg though. No outside air (and the nasties that go with it) will ever touch the beer if you jump from keg to keg.
Even when transferring to a smaller keg you'll know when its full because you won't hear any more hissing coming from your CO2 tank. You might waste a tiny bit of brew but once you pull the hose from the smaller keg shut off the CO2, purge the excess pressure and put your thumb over the hose and dump the beer leftover in the hose into a glass and enjoy.

bryan - you're right...my bad..easier to do than describe I think ;)

I really don't think the infection risk at this stage is much to worry about. I can't ever remember, in hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of batches a batch getting infected after racking into the keg. Take them apart and clean them thoroughly the first time, and rinse and sanitize them immediately after use. Always keep them closed. Add to that that the fully fermented beer isn't that prone to infection in the first place and you're usually safe. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back