How do you make soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelBastard

Reaction score
First I just want to say that I looked in the Wiki and tried a search but dent find anything.

So my question is pretty standard, how do you make soda? I have found many recipes for different flavors but no universally accepted process of how to use these recipes. Any help would be much appreciated, I need something new to do while I wait to bottle my first two batches of beer :) thanks!

Sorry for the typos, I ment to say that the search didn't turn up anything. I'm typing this on a phone because my work blocks this site :(

There are several ways to make soda. If you have a kegging system it is easier but can be done with bottling (use plastic bottles). You generally just buy a soda extract at your lhbs and combine it with 4-5 gallons of water and sugar (They have directions). Then you either force carb it, or you add yeast and bottle, then put the bottles in the fridge to stop fermentation before your bottles explode

There are several ways to make soda. If you have a kegging system it is easier but can be done with bottling (use plastic bottles). You generally just buy a soda extract at your lhbs and combine it with 4-5 gallons of water and sugar (They have directions). Then you either force carb it, or you add yeast and bottle, then put the bottles in the fridge to stop fermentation before your bottles explode

Excellent, you answered my question! I was wondering how you'd prevent bottle bombs. So when you "bottle condition" rootbeer, there will be a small amount of alcohol created huh?

Yes, about .5% I've heard. Here's how I make mine:

Homemade Root Beer Recipe
Homemade Ginger Ale

Now that I'm kegging, I don't add yeast. I force carb and bottle, usually. But when we bottled it like that, it worked great!

i am making some root beer and ginger ale and I bought the little bottle of extract for each. I will be using cornies and force carbing. Is this as easy as putting 4 gallons of water in and carb the water alone for a day and then just throw in the extract right from the little bottle and then re-carb.....:cross:

Anyone have any good non-extract root beer recipes? I made one the traditional way already but the flavor is slightly off. I used sasspirilla bark, dried sassafras root bark, and wintergreen leaves as the primary flavoring in mine.

Cheers :mug:,

Joe

i am making some root beer and ginger ale and I bought the little bottle of extract for each. I will be using cornies and force carbing. Is this as easy as putting 4 gallons of water in and carb the water alone for a day and then just throw in the extract right from the little bottle and then re-carb.....:cross:

anyone???/:confused:

Beuller....Beuller Anyone... Anyone....I have been searching for this for 3 days....can anyone answer my question above:eek:

thanks

Let me google that for you

I'm not gonna read the whole thing for you, since I don't own a keg. From what I skimmed:

1) Chill water
2) Add extract to water
3) Pour water/extract mixture into keg
4) Seal keg and purge air
5) Charge with desired level of co2
6) Force carb if desired

Again, I don't own a keg, and don't really know what "purge air" means, other than replacing air in keg with co2; and I'm not sure how you "force carb", unless it just means shake the hell out of the keg...but these things come by searching.

Back