Herman Joseph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Herman Joseph's? It was Coor's porter style and some of the best tasting around. They stopped brewing it but rumor has it they are going to start it up again. My question is does anyone know the recipe for this beer or a close clone? I found the Bud clone on this site and thought this would be the place to ask.

Never heard of it,
but here in Utah, there are alot of beers I've never heard of......

I remember Herman Joseph, it was released by Coors about the same time they originally released their version of Killians (early to mid '80's?). I don't think it was a porter, but it's been a really long time. Don't know about any recipes.

I remember Herman Joseph, it was released by Coors about the same time they originally released their version of Killians (early to mid '80's?). I don't think it was a porter, but it's been a really long time. Don't know about any recipes.

I never liked Killians and not sure why it stuck around and Herman Joseph didn't. It was named after the founder, Adolph Herman Joseph Coors and was THE absolute best beer Coors ever brewed. It was a porter, and had a taste of chocolate. That beer is unsurpassed, no unapproachable by any commercial beer under todays standards. Searching for the recipe I've come across some news that they are bringing it back. We shall see. But unless you've had Coors and Herman Joseph in the state of Colorado then you've missed out on the essence of a truly GREAT brewer. Oh ... I still want the recipe.

Ok, it was DARK. So what makes a beer a porter if it isn't dark? I've never had a golden porter. HJ is as dark and rich as any porter I've ever had. Granted I do not know the scientific side of beer but what I call porter is the DARK beer. I basically catagorize (perhaps incorrectly) into three groups (ales, lagers, porters). So by that grouping HJ has no choice but the fall into the porter catagory. In my mind it will always be Coors Brewing Co.'s porter. Killians was their ale. ... Say what you want but I would still love to get my hands on a clone recipe.

You can call it what you want but people will not know what you are talking about. The point of categorizing beers into styles is to give people basis for what others are talking about with any given beer. So if you want to just categorize beers into three styles you might want to use names that aren't already taken by other recognized styles. Maybe light, dark and darker.

You can call it what you want but people will not know what you are talking about.
ok so I guess I don't know enough about beer to know the difference. And as someone else mentioned it was a long time ago. I just recall going to a brewery/restaurant where they served three types (light, medium, dark) and they called theirs (ale, lager, porter) so that is where I got it. All that aside my original question still stands. I would really like a recipe for a Herman Joseph's 1868 clone. :mug:

AC Golden Brewing Company

Looks like it might be good. Apparently its a german style lager.
Funny how the memory works (or fails). I recall HJ being a much darker beer when I drank it out in Colorado years ago. I even brought a case back home with me on the plane. But the pic does look like a lager. And it stands to reason it is German since the guy's name is Adolph. So now I suppose I'm looking for german lager recipes. I'll just have to continue to experiment I suppose.

:mug::mug:
i work at a restaurant that carries herman josephs. i had the opportunity to try a bottle from batch #1. it wasn't very dark, just slightly darker than say coors banquet beer. i enjoyed it because there wasn't any offensive flavors, it wasn't too heavy, or too hoppy, or too carmely. i wouldn't go out of my way to find it though, as there are so many better microbrews here in colorado. hard tail ale, for instance, brewed by a motorcycle tail pipe welder has much more complexity and home brewed taste than herman josephs. all in all i would say i will drink it when i come across it, but if im hunting for a great beer, any belgian abbey or farm house brew is where my money is at.

:mug::mug:
... but if im hunting for a great beer, any belgian abbey or farm house brew is where my money is at.

Maybe the bottles were dark. That was many moons ago and lots of brain cells have moved on since then. So where might I find recipies for some of the "belgain abbey" or "farm house brew" that leaves Herman Joseph on the shelf? What about a heiniken knockoff . I had a hiney recently and it was good.

To reopen this thread. I have made a good clone of Herman Joseph, which is made by AC Brewing in Colorado. It is Coors microbrewing section. These guys are pure artists when it comes to beer. It is a dark German Lager that has a nice full malt flavor and hopped beautifully. If anyone thinks beer nerds in Colorado can't make a good beer because Coors is the backer, they are very mistaken. I have had beer in all parts of this planet and this one is righteous. Here's my recipe:

9lbs. Pilsner 2 row
8oz. Caramel 10L
6oz. Dextrin
2oz. Black Malt
Mashed for 90 minutes at 155 degrees F. I used bottled water that was RO'd and had minerals added back in. Hawaii tap is a little gamey.

Boiled for 90 minutes with
1.5oz. Halertauer for 60 minutes
.5oz. Hallertauer for 15 minutes
.5oz. Saaz for 5 minutes.
I added a spoonful of Irish moss for 15 minutes.
I pitched White Labs Pilsner 800 at room temp. for 20 hours and fermented at 45 degrees F.
After 3 weeks I let it rest at room temp. for 2 days and then lagered it at 35 degrees F for 4 weeks.

I hate it when I read an entire thread, only to realize at the end that it's 3 years old :(

Right there wit you. But did bring up memories. Liked HJ back in my college days, before I really knew about beer or styles. :mug:

Still was a good beer from what I remember. Might have to try the recipe above.

Back