Temperature Controlled Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Here is a pretty good image that shows you what I have been up to. It is my jacketed fermenter and a glycol chiller made out of a chest freezer. The Ranco Digital Controllers regulate a circulation pump and the freezer. It works really well.

P1000241.jpg

Couldn't you just put the fermenter in a water bath and pull an old t-shirt over it?? :confused:

Impressive Brewpastor, very impressive! You high-end homebrewers never cease to amaze me.

Ala` "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"

"I think I just filled the cup."

Nice work... My homemade fermetation chamber (in the works) seems pale in comparison...

:)

Wait... how does the glycol circulate around the conical? I see the tubes going to the bottom but where does it go from there?

Really you could have a whole series of fermenters running all in parallel off of the same chiller. You wouldn't even need a conical as you could use the old bucket within a cooler trick. Just be sure not to poison your beer.

Must I remind you of Matthew 6:19-21 BP? ;)

Better send that thing to me. Better yet, I'll fly out there and pick it up. Along with your other earthly treasures. :D

OH my god this is awesome. A tad bit of overkill but that's totally my style.

You don't happen to have a how-totyped up for the brave few that may wish to pursue this do you?

Holy crap talk about overkill... you're cooling such a ridiculous volume of glycol. That has to take quite a while to pull down... probably could have gotten away with a gallon or two and a plate heat exchanger.

That said.. I still envy that setup, very very nice work.

Holy crap talk about overkill... you're cooling such a ridiculous volume of glycol. That has to take quite a while to pull down... probably could have gotten away with a gallon or two and a plate heat exchanger.

That said.. I still envy that setup, very very nice work.

If you have it why not use It? I was given a barrel of glycol from a brewery friend, along with the chest freezer.

Wait... how does the glycol circulate around the conical? I see the tubes going to the bottom but where does it go from there?

Really you could have a whole series of fermenters running all in parallel off of the same chiller. You wouldn't even need a conical as you could use the old bucket within a cooler trick. Just be sure not to poison your beer.

The glycol is food grade, so it won't kill you - not that you want to drink it!

As for circulation, there is a sump pump in the glycol which is controlled by the Ranco controller. There should be an article coming out in Zymurgy's upcoming gadget issue.

I also use the glycol in my heat exchanger, which is really effective. I like the idea of a carboy in a cooler using this same kind of idea.

The glycol is food grade, so it won't kill you - not that you want to drink it!

As for circulation, there is a sump pump in the glycol which is controlled by the Ranco controller. There should be an article coming out in Zymurgy's upcoming gadget issue.

I also use the glycol in my heat exchanger, which is really effective. I like the idea of a carboy in a cooler using this same kind of idea.

I didn't know anti-freeze came in "food grade"! Are you pulling my leg? Seriously... Are you?

I didn't know anti-freeze came in "food grade"! Are you pulling my leg? Seriously... Are you?

The kind that goes in your car or truck isn't food safe. You need to by RV antifreeze that is used to winterize the water lines. I do this every year with my Travel trailer.

But even then it could still cause problems with the central nervous system if ingested in large amounts
http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/msds_peak_rv_marine_af.pdf

Food Grade Glycol refers to Food Grade Propylene Glycol, as opposed to radiator fluid which is Ethylene Glycol which is toxic.

Why didn't you just put a smaller bucket of gycol in the freezer like say 5 gallons or so that way at least you could use the freezer for other things

Wow - I am set on building that jacketed fermenter. What cautions does your welders need to watch out for in terms of the welding finish on the inside of the conical? Do you know if all welds were done from the inside of the conical, or outside - is grinding inside of the conical acceptable or does that promote rust? Really inspiring. Must make an appt to meet with my welder... Feed us more!

Propylene glycol also is a very good humidifier, it's often used as the liquid base in cigar humidiors!

I have to say that I really like having this fermenter. I have a CAP fermenting right now at 50 degrees and it is just glugging along.

(OK, I continue to try to justify this fermenter. Is it working?)

I have to say that I really like having this fermenter. I have a CAP fermenting right now at 50 degrees and it is just glugging along.

(OK, I continue to try to justify this fermenter. Is it working?)

Ill need a sample produced from it before I can sign off on any justification.....

:mug:

So that just goes into your freezer. I didnt know they were completely sealed. My kenmoore one kinda scratches easy and has seams I think. Mines probably a POS.

Very COOL. I have a line chiller that I had planned to use, but the way I went was easier for me.

Yours looks like a sweet set-up. More details please!

Yours looks like a sweet set-up. More details please!

Thanks

The chiller currently is setup to cool three fermenters, port #1-3, and the wort CFC port #4 (see first post).
The reservoir has a 30 gl capacity.
The compressor is made by Copland.
Drive pump is a Grainger magnetic drive version.
Each fermenter is equipped with a cold water valve and connected to a temp controller, plus one main bypass valve.
No heating required for El Paso climate.

Return temp

Chiller_Return_Temp.jpg

Inside view

Chiller_Coil5.jpg

Evaporator coil under construction
Chiller_Coil3.jpg

Fermenters temp controls
FermenterController.jpg

My edit:
System can perform automatic D-rest and cool down (2-3° F per day) to aging temps.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

WOW! That is a crazy set-up. I'm Jealous. I use the water bath and old t-shirt method, works great for me. But congrats on the system. :mug:

Wow! Well, I guess I am not even in the same league. For example, I wouldn't have a granite countertop for a workbench! And that's just scratching the surface. ;)

That is great! How are you cleaning the coils?

Chiller coils? Never
Fermenter cooling coils?
Manually or during the cleaning cycle.
Fermenters are connected to the cleaning pumps and cleaning tanks.
All tanks are equipped with spray balls except fermenters, not required.

Stainless pump is one of the cleaning pumps I use.

CIPMashPumps.jpg

Cleaning cycle controller
Pump_Timer1.jpg

One of the cleaning tanks, filled with PBW
CIP_Tank_2008.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back