Question about sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birome Brewer

Reaction score
I read the thread on sanitizers tacked to the top and I was wondering if you can get any of the no rinse sanitizers at Wal-Mart or other big stores. I have been using star san, but I recently moved and we still have half of our stuff in boxes. i apparently didn't put my star san with all of my other equipment and I cant find it. I'm getting ready to do my first 10-gallon batch and need a sanitizer quick. The closest major city is Waco, TX and they do not have any home brew stores.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the best you'll probably do is good old bleach. I've read that it can be considered "no rinse" if it's at the proper concentration, but I'd hate to get that concentration wrong. Push comes to shove, you could just rinse it with some pre-boiled (and cooled) water.

You may find some medicinal iodine solution, but again you'd have to be very careful about figuring out the correct dilution.

Personally, I'd wait until I had access to the correct sanitizer. If I just couldn't wait, I'd use bleach. I used it for years with good success, it's just nowhere near as convenient as StarSan.

Back