My Infected Beer Tastes Sour, but I kinda like it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenche

Reaction score
So I had a batch of beer become infected, I decided to keg it anyway to see just how bad it would be.

The strange thing is that although it is certainly sour, there are times that I actually kind of enjoy it.

Do you think this is me just being stubborn and refusing to throw out a batch, or is it common for a soured batch to be pleasantly soured?

I don't think its common for an infected batch to end up pleasant but it certainly is possible. Several styles purposely "infect" the beer with organisms that are generally regarded as undesirable. Lambic, Berliner Weisse, Flemish Sour Ales, etc. If you get the "right" type of infection it can add an interesting flavor to the beer. Just and landofhoney who seems to be constantly experimenting with sour beers.
Craig

Realistically, sour beers were originally old, infected beers. Just like Porter used to be a mixed beer. People drank them because that's what they had. Now they make 'em that way.

One of my Browns is getting sour and I think it would be great in the summer. I don't think it will last that long.

Seeing how you kegged it you had better plan to replace the hoses and REALLY clean you tap after it's gone or your next one could endup the same way.

FSR402 said:
Seeing how you kegged it you had better plan to replace the hoses and REALLY clean you tap after it's gone or your next one could endup the same way.

I plan to clean the lines and tap pretty well. No plans to replace the hoses. I am guessing that in the cooler temps of the fridge the infection won't really take hold. The faucet is forward sealing so that should also help.

kenche said:
So I had a batch of beer become infected, I decided to keg it anyway to see just how bad it would be.

The strange thing is that although it is certainly sour, there are times that I actually kind of enjoy it.

Do you think this is me just being stubborn and refusing to throw out a batch, or is it common for a soured batch to be pleasantly soured?

I find your perseverance awesome. I would have shed tears and dumped it.

cronxitawney said:
I find your perseverance awesome. I would have shed tears and dumped it.

There have been many times in the past where I have been subjected to alcoholic beverages not nearly as enjoyable as this infected beer.

mmmmm.... Thai rice whiskey anyone?

sour can be good.

bobby, you are throwing in with a bunch of brewers on that 60 gallons iirc? that's a cool idea.

I had a Belgian Pale come out a little sour and kind of liked it. Let me give you one bit of advice . . . moderation. I liked this sour beer and proceeded to drink 4, 5, or 6 or more. By night end I was throwing my guts up. Be Warned.

Matt Foley said:
I had a Belgian Pale come out a little sour and kind of liked it. Let me give you one bit of advice . . . moderation. I liked this sour beer and proceeded to drink 4, 5, or 6 or more. By night end I was throwing my guts up. Be Warned.

hmm interesting.... I have only drank one at a time. Even though I kind of like it, it is definitely not a session beer.

Back