Austin Homebrewing Supply??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Austin Homebrewing Supply? I just found them when surfing the web and found that they have a wealth of recipe kits running the gamut from extract right up to all grain, and their prices are very reasonable. I noticed this weekend they are having a free shipping deal, and their shipping is flat rate and extreamly reasonable even when they aren't running a deal. I was going to purchase a couple economy kits which will work out to be not much more than $30.00 per kit, after adding the + 1% ABV option, which is very interesting to me. Has anyone brewed any of these economy kits, or brewed their kits at all, and what is your opinion of their products and their 1% extra ABV option? :tank:

They are great I use them almost exclusively but they are within driving distance for me

They seem to do a ton of Internet business so everything fresh and they ship quickly also

HBT Review <- You can check out some reviews here

The ABV boost is just sugar if I remember correctly. I don't really have an opinion on the sugar...I mean if you want more gravity...then it would benefit you. If you just want to brew the kit, then...no. I ordered a kit from them when I was making extract batches and there was LME all over the container and it looked like somebody threw it together in a hurry. Each person will have their own experiences, but they're reputable enough to have stayed in business for quite a while. Forrest also used to frequent the forums a lot, so that's good.

Also the Guinness clone and and real ale firemans 4 clone are kits I have down multiple times and are fantastic IMO

They look like they might out class some of the operations up here in the North...and West....lol, some of these online home-brew stores are virtually impossible to navigate around, pages barely load. I'm pretty new to the hobby so I'm still feeling things out as far as my ongoing, and seemingly never ending supply purchases are concerned. Have you tried any of their econo kits? They are pretty inexpensive, it's hard to beat $.60 per 12oz brew.

Great company, I've spent $100+ there this year alone. There time to ship can be a little longer then others, generally it's a couple days after I order that it gets in the truck. But they have 4.99 shipping on orders over 100, and 6.99 for orders under 100.

Bought my first partial mash kit from them (rye ipa) and it was great! Great service, too. I've never read any complaints about AHS.

Glad to hear mostly good reviews, I guess I'm going to put that order in tomorrow. I'm going to doctor up a couple econo kits and will report back later. Thanks for all your input and responses.

They are going to be having Free Shipping starting tomorrow and ending Sunday on orders over $49. I will probably give them a try for that. I've never heard bad things about them though.

They are going to be having Free Shipping starting tomorrow and ending Sunday on orders over $49. I will probably give them a try for that. I've never heard bad things about them though.

Yep, I need some specialty grains to complete a brew I have planned and will get an econo kit to go over the $49 limit. All my orders there have been completed accurately and shipped promptly. Good folks.

Has anyone tried their Hop Rod Rye clone? I was thinking of ordering this today and couldn't find any reviews.

I've ordered a couple times from them. always got everything in a reasonable time frame, always shipped correctly. I did their anniversary wheat beer a couple years ago, when they were selling anniversary kits for $20. It came out decent, I would say good but I didn't get the clove taste I wanted, though that could be my fault. Someone told me I needed to do an acid rest to get good clove, and I just did a single infusion, so I probably screwed that up.
I did thier Cooper's Sparkling Ale clone as well. That one came out fairly close to the original, drinking them side by side.
I'd definitely purchasing one of thier kits again, if I see one that I found interesting.

I always get my stuff from AHS because they have better service and better ingredients than the local one down the street. I always had a good experience with them until now. Ordered friday and still hadnt shipped. I called up and they were waiting on a few things that they did not have in stock. It was a lack of communication because they did not let me know what was the hold up. I was hoping to brew this weekend now i cant. The things they were out i did not need for the brew day. Its the first time they made me made but i'll still use them. Just a lack of communication and a company cant be perfect. Just had to push my brew day back when ever i get the ingredients.

I had a good experience in December when I first bought from them. About to throw a couple bottles of their Double Chocolate Stout in the fridge and see how they are.

Austin's is a Great place to get supplies from, I live in Arizona = 120 deg in summer, last summer I asked Austin's if I could place a liquid yeast order and have it packed and shipped on the follow monday so it wouldn't sit in a brown oven with tires over the weekend, Austin's said Sure We Can Do That For You ! They even surrounded the yeast and ice packs in the middle of my grain order to help insulate it, just like I asked them to do, it worked great.

I asked this same question of just about every other big supplier and the answer was ether, we have No way to to do that or just No we don't do that.

Thanks Austin's Homebrew Supply, Great Service, Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff, Quality Supplies, Orders are Right the First Time, Fast Shipping, and the Only Supply'r I know of that will hold your order till the date you want it shipped.

I have ordered from Austin's about a dozen times now, its always the same experience, GREAT!

PS I have not tried a ingredient kit from them, as I order grain's and make up my own kits.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :mug:

AHS is my go to supplier. They have the best customer service from ANY vendor dealing with ANY product I've ever needed/ordered. Cheap shipping, good prices, fresh ingredients and AMAZING customer service. In my opinion you can't go wrong with AHS.

I too have has great experiences. I enjoy the mini mash kits they sell. I'm not ready for full all grain, but get a little bored by the extracts.... So....

I got about three orders. So around 6 kits. Went great. Variety of kits is huge.

Back