Mythbusters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bokonon

Reaction score
Saw something beer related on mythbusters tonight. They threw a keg on a fire to see if it would explode, and sure enough after about 20 minutes the top ruptured with a big bang.

Kind of painful to watch a keg be wasted like this. I wonder if they will try to get their deposit back.

They can 'bust' any myth they want given their manipulation of experimental conditions, not doing multiple repetitions, and no control. I hate that show.

Beerrific said:
They can 'bust' any myth they want given their manipulation of experimental conditions, not doing multiple repetitions, and no control. I hate that show.

Seconded. Their use of the scientific process leaves much to be desired.

Yeah, well, it's a teevee show, not a scientific journal. I can't imagine how awfully boring it would be to watch if they went through a rigorous process like you describe.

As long as it was a Bud Light keg, then cool. :D

It is Science as entertainment though. I enjoy watching it.

MythBusters rock. I work in an industry that supposedly follows rigorous scientific procedures, but to be honest it is usually a just a crapshoot of duct tape and baling wire. Hell even in university many of my "scientific" professors were "get a bigger hammer" kind of guys, just like the MythBusters.

Mythbusters are just a mechanically inclined group of people who have found an excuse to build cool sht and blow things up. But while doing so, the viewers do learn something new. It is a hell of a lot better show than most of the mind numbing crap on TV.

I love MythBusters, just don't take it too seriously.

Besides, how can anyone dislike a show that features Kari Bryon?

mythbuster-kari.jpg

Smart, funky, spunky, funny, very cute, very hot........ damn, I've got a MAD Kari-crush :D

the_bird said:
I love MythBusters, just don't take it too seriously.

Besides, how can anyone dislike a show that features Kari Bryon?

mythbuster-kari.jpg

Smart, funky, spunky, funny, very cute, very hot........ damn, I've got a MAD Kari-crush :D

Damn....! Where did you find that pic at bird? She's actually the only reason lately I watch mythbusters. She is definitely a hottie! Wonder if she's a real redhead.

the_Roqk said:
Damn....! Where did you find that pic at bird? She's actually the only reason lately I watch mythbusters. She is definitely a hottie! Wonder if she's a real redhead.

I'm pretty sure her hair color changes week-by-week...

She did a spread (huh, huh) for FHM, I think, a while back. Do a Google image search, there's lots of good stuff... :D

EDIT:

06-kari_byron_shark_bikini_radio_belly_800x600.jpg

Bike N Brew said:
What myth were they trying to bust?

Pressurized vessel + heat = explosion

doesn't seem like such a big mystery or source of any kind of myth to me ;)

The actual myth they were working on was bullets or a gun in the oven. Then they upped it to bullets in a campfire. Then they started sticking other things in a fire. So the keg was just something extra.

Bokonon said:
The actual myth they were working on was bullets or a gun in the oven. Then they upped it to bullets in a campfire. Then they started sticking other things in a fire. So the keg was just something extra.

And that's why Mythbusters is a great show

the_Roqk said:

I named my last red ale, "Roof Matches the Rug Red". SWMBO thought it was sexist, yeah so what is your point....

Rick

rfidd said:
I named my last red ale, "Roof Matches the Rug Red". SWMBO thought it was sexist, yeah so what is your point....

Rick

How about: "Red Rug and Roof Ale"

or "Top and Bottom Red Ale" :mug:

By the way, most SWMBO's hate anything that refers to women's private parts! Really... what's your point!:D

Beerrific said:
Agreed...except for the "hate" part. I really like the show, but sometimes I dislike their methods. Mostly, I like to watch stuff blow up...or gawk at the hot chick.

Bobby_M said:
You know how I know you're gay?

You hate the Mythbusters.

I have actually never noticed the hot chick on the show until this thread, probably because I can't stand those other beret-wearing hacks on there.

My favorite was the time they were trying to 'bust' the myth that a person could be buried alive. They tried to bury one of the guys. The casket started cracking and he got scared..OH...myth busted.

OK, I did like the one where they put the Mentos in the Diet Coke, that made me laugh. The other day I was eating a sandwich with Fluff and took a drink of Diet Coke and got a mouth (and nose) full of foam.

Back