Stepping up a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Simple question, I have a 4000 ML flask and a stir plate so I have plenty of room to work with here. Is it necassary to crash the yeast, decant and then add more wort when stepping up a starter? I am thinking I may be able to just chill the fresh wort and add to the starter while it's spinning. That would save a bunch of time and probably stress on the yeast too

I just add 1/2 cup dme to 1 pint water for each step up chill and dump right in the flask have no problems.

you can do 1 step starter with 1 smack pack or vial and 3.5L of wort or you can step it up 2x by cold crashing and decanting first 3.5L and adding new wort. I dont see a point on doing two step starter when you do 2L first and later you add another 1.5L, at the end you will get the same or less yeast cells as just putting it directly in 3.5L. Now if you want to step it (by cold crashing and decanting) depends on the number of cells you need, steeping allows you to use the same flask and culture more cells

Back