Finishing brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
I posted last week about building my brew stand and after a few design changes I have nearly completed the project. I moved some boards farther from the burner, reinforced the method for holding the keg with rebar and added a head/wind screen. I still think the boards around the burner may need some protection from heat. I did a test run and there are a few hotspots that are concerning but for the most part I feel like everything is pretty safe. I will attach a picture so you guys can see what I'm working with.

The problem areas are the middle part of the four boards surrounding the burner where the keg will sit. There has to be a way to shield those boards agains heat.....

image-1961870297.jpg

image-2601972311.jpg

Looks great. You should be able to put a piece of sheet metal around the burner to block the radiant heat from the wood. Leave it far enough away from the burner so that it still gets enough air.

Looks great. You should be able to put a piece of sheet metal around the burner to block the radiant heat from the wood. Leave it far enough away from the burner so that it still gets enough air.

It does look good but just as spokaniac said I would put sheet metal around it. My burner gets extremely hot around it so I would be worried about the wood right next to the flame.

Know any contractor friends that might have some spare duct fire wrap laying around? Might not be pretty, but it would work. Wrap the wood in the insulation (good to 900 degrees), and then maybe cover that with sheet metal or something to make it look pretty.

I used some aluminum flashing around the interior of my wood stand. I didn't screw it down but just bent it over the edge to reflect the heat. I haven't had any issues with charring and I've brewed three batches on the stand so far. From the looks of it though, the perimeter of my stand is a bit bigger than yours when we're talking distance from the keg.

Just having the metal between the heat source and the wood will knock down the heat considerably, kinda like the heat shields used on ISS.

Latest posts

Back