Hello Fellow Washingtonians!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comes from here :).
image.jpg

Similar situation here at my place - our well water is amazing both in taste, and also from a Ward Labs analysis report. I can do Pilsners without need to go the reverse osmosis route, and need to build up the mineral content when I want to make an IPA stand up and shout

Hello from Redmond. I started brewing rice wine (makgeolli) while COVID allowed more time at home. I am looking to connect with others around me :)

WooHoo state forums!

My name is Hans, I live in Bellevue, and work in Redmond right by Mac n Jacks. If you are close by and ever want to do some home brew trading or combine our brew days feel free to send me a PM!

Also, if anyone is interested, I think it would be much easier to get a group buy going now.
I found one of my old threads!! Looks like state forums moved to region forums, makes sense.

Hello from Spokane! I read this whole thread to see if anybody else was representing but I guess it's just me here. I've been brewing since 2013, all grain after the third batch. I'm jealous of all of you over in Seattle having such a thriving community of homebrewers.

Hi from West Seattle....moved here at the beginning of January to work on the West Seattle bridge and even with a long time to get settled in and working long hours, have still managed to brew three batches- a NEIPA that I'm currently drinking, a Duvel Tripel Hop clone that is cold conditioning and a slightly hoppy Mexican lager that is in a diacetyl rest at the moment.

recently moved from the 'wet' side over to the 'dry' side (Yakima Valley) and am surrounded by fields overflowing with hops, vineyards, and orchards.

I have yet to send a sample of our well water off for analysis, but can state for certain that it's a significantly different profile that my previous location. My well water here tastes good, but it's more like a European mineral water feel/taste than our previous place. It also leaves spots on any surface a drop is left to evaporate.

There's a LHBS in Yakima that I'm hoping to visit soon, but it'll be a few months before I'm settled in enough to send off that water sample ahead of my first brew day here. Suspecting I'll need to install a RO system and build profiles from there vs subtle mineral additions like at the previous place

Outside of brewing, I'm hoping to build a wood-fired pizza oven before winter sets in. Hoptown (near the Wapato exit on I-82) has great pizza and tap list, but I'm not always up for the drive and prefer to make my own. Homebrew + homemade pizza + pinball makes for a great evening

Hello from Kirkland. I’m from MO originally but have lived in OH, CT, NY & TN as well. I’ve been brewing since 1993. However, I’ve learned more in the last several months in this group & in a Facebook group than I learned in the previous 25+ years of brewing on my own (I quit for about 2.5 years on two occasions due to moving a lot for jobs).

Hi from West Seattle....moved here at the beginning of January to work on the West Seattle bridge and even with a long time to get settled in and working long hours, have still managed to brew three batches- a NEIPA that I'm currently drinking, a Duvel Tripel Hop clone that is cold conditioning and a slightly hoppy Mexican lager that is in a diacetyl rest at the moment.
Please, please fix that bridge.

Hey everyone! I have a question on yakima valley hops. i'm planning on doing a Manny's clone soon. Mostly because I love that beer and i've recently moved out of state due to my wife's job. Since that beer is a PNW beer, I was considering the hops and here's my question. Do hops, say, Magnum and/or Cascade, from YVH taste differently than hops sold from another supplier like Northern brewer? Or is the taste negligible unless you have a super sensitive palate?

I was considering the hops and here's my question. Do hops, say, Magnum and/or Cascade, from YVH taste differently than hops sold from another supplier like Northern brewer? Or is the taste negligible unless you have a super sensitive palate?
the chances of hops from YVH and NB coming from the exact same lot are really low, so yes they will be different (it's an agricultural product, so there is natural variability). as you point out, not everybody is going to be able to tell the difference...

i only buy my hops from YVH or hopsdirect for two reasons:
  1. lower prices, especially when you buy by the pound
  2. freshness. those two retailers make a point of telling you what year the hops were harvested, and i know they are diligent about keeping hops frozen until they're shipped. i've bought hops from More Beer and other big online shops, and quality is a crap-shoot. i've gotten good and fresh, and i've gotten 3 year old cheese curds. all of my YVH and HD hops have been top-shelf.

I think when I first joined the forum I was still living in a beautiful 200-year-old home in Malden Wa. I'm now in Pomeroy since the wildfires. Finally back to brewing again this past weekend after spending most of the rest of 2020 and most of 2021 trying to find a new home. Found a beautiful home in Pomeroy with a 10x10 room that is not my brewhouse. Still need a ton of stuff to get it set up the way I want it but I'm happy with it so far. The Witches Cauldron or as some like to call it The Bubbling Cauldron has now been in 10 states hopefully this last move will be the last.

Back