Alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just need to boil it for 15 min just like priming sugar? Do I need to add more yeast? And do I need to let it cool before adding?

Any idea of how I would figure amount to add?

Well, a pound of table sugar in 5 gallons will up your ABV by a little over 1%. But there's a lot more in brewing beer than adding sugar to up the ABV - you have to consider how this addition will also impact the flavor, balance, body, etc.

that's a matter of recipe. i'd say no more than 10% of your fermentables should come from simple sugar. do you have brewing software? i'd advise using software whenever putting together any recipe.

I do not have brewing software just got my kit on christmas and bottled my first batch yesterday. I was just curious cause I was hoping to get a abv of about 6% my next batch.

I was told to use corn sugar, but I may need to pitch more yeast also. Is this true?

Try Mrmalty.com to know how much yeast you need based on the specific brew. And search online for calculators and software. There's some free ones and things like beersmith offer a free trial, no purchase needed.

I do not have brewing software just got my kit on christmas and bottled my first batch yesterday. I was just curious cause I was hoping to get a abv of about 6% my next batch.

I was told to use corn sugar, but I may need to pitch more yeast also. Is this true?

you can use pretty much any sugar - table sugar and corn sugar will give you the cleanest flavors, though you can also use brown sugar, molasses, honey, maple syrup, etc. Malt extract however may be more appropriate for you depending on the beer style.

It is recommended that you pitch more yeast for bigger beers, but how much depends on the total gravity of the beer, the volume, and the type of yeast (ale, lager, hybrid). Check out mrmalty.com for a great pitching rate calculator.

I would suggest brewing a kit that gives you a higher ABV beer....

As apposed to just bouncing it up with sugar....if you don't care about taste you can add ashly of sugar! Lol

Although it might not be a bad idea.I know some people strive to do different things with their brews...

here is a link to a free brewing calculator site, and you shouldn't need to pitch more yeast. corn sugar is very neutral, but table sugar will work at that amount.

TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators

I prefer to up the amount of dry malt extract in recipe to boost ABV and not rely too heavily on non malt sugar. You'll get better body with Dry malt extract. Honey is also an interesting addition to bring up ABV, and add that something different.

what will this next batch be?

Just adding sugar to an existing recipe will make the beer thinner and dryer. It will give you a higher ABV but might give you an unbalanced flavor.

As previously stated, find a recipe that sounds like one you would drink, that has the ABV you want.

Made a batch of red forgot to add the brown sugar been in fermentor 4 days now ! Way too late to add it now ?

Made a batch of red forgot to add the brown sugar been in fermentor 4 days now ! Way too late to add it now ?

nope, just be quick and sanitary when you add things to the fermenter. i'd boil the sugar first, cool to ferment temps, then add smoothly to not introduce fresh oxygen to the fermenting wort. if the krausens already fallen back, be aware that the brew can re krausen when you add more sugar, so have a blowoff tube handy.

New to brewing this is only my 2nd batch whats a blow off tube I have it fermenting in bucket with air lock ?

So it seems the overall consensus is that adding sugar isn't the best route to raise abv.

I was just curious cause im from utah and our beer here is only 3.2% and does not taste as good as other out of state beer. which is what got me into wanting to brew my own, I wanted to be able to make it at the same percentage that the others are which I thought was about 6%.

Im looking to do a rasberry wheat and a mexican cerveza next couple batches, and haven't drank very many different types of beer really don't know the difference between a lager, pale ale, stout etc.

So it seems the overall consensus is that adding sugar isn't the best route to raise abv.

I was just curious cause im from utah and our beer here is only 3.2% and does not taste as good as other out of state beer. which is what got me into wanting to brew my own, I wanted to be able to make it at the same percentage that the others are which I thought was about 6%.

What kind of beer are you trying to brew. 6% is very easy to achieve you will not need any sugar for that.

beerman0001 said:
What kind of beer are you trying to brew. 6% is very easy to achieve you will not need any sugar for that.

Well I want to do another blonde ale but my next batch will be a rasberry wheat and than a mexican cervesa

There is some sediment in the bottom of my bottles, is that normal? I just bottled my blonde ale on saturday.

Back