Easiest beer to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusparadise

Reaction score
So I decided to get into beer making what would you recommend to start with. There are a lot of recipes but I'm looking for something relatively easy and with cheap ingredients to start with, as I am a fan of all kinds of beer :). If you could point to the recipe/guide for it, it would be very helpful thanks.

cactusparadise said:
So I decided to get into beer making what would you recommend to start with. There are a lot of recipes but I'm looking for something relatively easy and with cheap ingredients to start with, as I am a fan of all kinds of beer :). If you could point to the recipe/guide for it, it would be very helpful thanks.

Hefeweissen.

Boil 1 oz Hallertau in 3 gallons of water for 50 minutes
Add 6 pounds of wheat DME and boil for 10 minutes
Rack it to a bucket with 2 gallons of cold water in it. When temp drops to about 80 or less, pitch Wyeast 3068 hefe yeast. Let it ferment for 10 days and it's ready to drink.

The only real reason to boil extract is to get a hot break and to sterilize it. This is all done in the first 5 minutes or so of boiling. Most people don't bother trying to figure out the minimum amount of time, so they just boil it for the whole 60 minutes. The reason others push it to the minimum is to prevent carmelization and to lighten the color.

DeathBrewer said:
interesting...i might cut down on my time for certain brews. thanks for teh input.

...keep in mind that you have changes in hop utilization as a result in grav changes in your boil and if you are keeping to a bitter/flavor/aroma hop schedule, that time is not necess eliminated.

On the easy brew topic, you can't beat a relatively simple AHS or midwest extract kit.

The 80 is Fahrenheit (aka, American).

I'd use one smack pack of Wyesat 3068. If you're looking for the easiest beer recipe, you're probably not up for making starters.

Damn zombie thread.

Hefeweissen.

I have a couple of questions, I'm new to brewing beer.
1)How much Wyeast 3068 hefe yeast should I use?
2)The "80" of temperature you are talking about is Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Wow, this is a really old thread you're bringing back. Like, six years old.

For maximum simplicity, one vial of the yeast, or maybe better, one packet of a dry wheat yeast (which does better when pitched directly because there's more actual yeast in the dry stuff).

80 is Fahrenheit. Less (like 65 or 70) would be even better. Note that you'll still need to carbonate after fermentation, either bottling (takes a week or more) or kegging (faster, but more equipment-intensive).

Wow... 6 and a half year old thread here brought back. Live... I SAY LIVE!! :D

1) 2 packs of the Wyeast 3068 or 1 pack made into a 1.5L starter (I'd do the starter, myself, you'll get the yeast active and eating some wort sugar before pitching that way).
2) Cool it to 64F before pitching for best results. Keep it there for 3 days, then let it slowly rise to around 72-75F over the next 5 days.

Latest posts

Back