Stainless Steel Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
So I saw a 164 quart Igloo cooler at Costco yesterday for ~90 dollars. I went on Amazon to see if I could find something like it for maybe a little cheaper and came across this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I3VJBO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Anyone ever use this as a Mash Tun? It seems like it would be perfect, but then again, I don't really know. What could be wrong with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't do the 164 qt. Unless you're making really big batches you will have crazy dead space which equates to temperature loss.

I wouldn't do the 164 qt. Unless you're making really big batches you will have crazy dead space which equates to temperature loss.

That's what went through my head after the initial "wow that would be awesome." I plan on buying an 84 quart kettle to do 15.5 gallon batches this summer, but I still think that 164 quarts will be too much. What do you think?

Thanks for the heads up about the plastic lining. I didn't see that while looking through it.

Back