keezer collar sealer/mildew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
quick one. i searched, didn't find any definative answers though.

i made a 2x8 collar for the magic chef 7.2 cubic feet chest freezer, so i can get 6 kegs in it.

i just used normal/low grade building lumber.

the keezer will be out of sight, in my closet, with the taps running into my wall for taps on the opposite side built into the wall.

my question is, should i be worried about the wood warping, mildewing, rotting, etc. from the cold/condensation on the inside of the keezer?

is it neccessary or important to seal the wood with some type of water sealer? if so, just the inside, or the outside and sides as well? also if so, can anyone reccomend a particular sealer to use?

thanks!

brian

I primed and painted mine and have had no problems. It sits in the garage, exposed to temperature / humidity fluctuations all year, and needs an occasional wipe down on the outside with something (usually clorox clean-up) but 2x/year is probably all I do. Inside gets a clean up / wipedown when a keg-exchange results in a beer puddle at the bottom...:drunk:

You can use just about any paint or varnish to finish it. I sanded mine, applied a white wash pickling stain and topped it with several coats of satin finish polyurethane exterior varnish. Wipes clean with a damp cloth and no issues with mildew anywhere.

Here's a handy tip on how to clean the inside of the freezer. Occasionally, remove all the kegs for access. Wipe down the inside walls with a sponge and oxyclean, 409 or other cleaner. Rinse it off well. Excess water will pool in the bottom of the freezer. This can be hard to reach with a collar in place. I use my shop vac to suck up the water then wipe dry with a big towel. Quick and easy. Check those keg poppets often! Even the tiniest leak of a poppet can empty a keg into the freezer in no time. The loss of beer is tragic and the cleanup ain't no fun either!

I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane - designed to handle both moisture and temperature changes, so seemed perfect for a keezer collar. I've had no swelling, warping, or mold show up in the wood after several months of use.

used polyurethane also. Multiple coats and you wont have an issue with anything. Atleast i havent yet and its been a while

keep a little tub of damp rid in there. my keezer gets so humid that I get actual mold in there.
put in some damp rid, and I don't have any moisture or mold issues.

ok...i'll offer the counterpoint...if your keezer is in an unfinished locatoin, I would think regular building grade lumber will suffice. What is the lifespan of the freezer? At cooler temps., I don't think rot will be a problem. A little bit of bleach in a spray bottle will make short work of any mildew. Really up to you???

Of course, several coats of marine grade epoxy paint will protect the collar, but regular lumber will last a long time imo.

If you are really worried about the collar...simply rub it down w/ a bit of mineral oil...vaseline/wd40...no worries! That 2x8 is going nowhere soon!

Back