Too much trub in primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
While chilling I did the whirlpool. Then I let the sedimentation settle back down. I placed the racking cane on the edge and about an inch and a half from the bottom, started the siphon, then left it go while I started dinner. When I came back (siphon was finished) I realized I didn't get the end of the cane clear of the trub and sucked ALOT of trub into my primary. I know, I was in a hurry, I'll be more careful next time. I pitched the yeast and sealed her up. Should I siphon the beer into the secondary, clean out the primary, and siphon back into the primary? Or since I already pitched the yeast it's too late and just let it go?

Also, I used Wyeast #3068 and I smacked it before I started brewing and let it set on the counter for several hours while I brewed. When I go to pitch I realized that it didn't "swell" like the packet said it would. Now I'm worried the temperature in the kitchen was too high and might have killed the yeast. The pack was in the fridge up until I smacked it. I don't know the temperature in the kitchen. I'm sure it was over 80. Did I F-up my first brew? Or should it be ok?

Thanks Guys

DM

i wouldnt be too concerned about a little excess trub in the primary. It will settle down to the bottom under the yeast slurry.

As far as the smack pack... you are suppose to let those got for A LOT longer than a couple hours. I think most people hit them around 24-48 hours before brew time. You may have a problem with stalled fermentation, or infection if the pitched yeast count was too low. Ideally, you want the yeast to be at the same temperature as your wort at pitch time. This reduces temperature shock to the little guys.

No, you haven't destroyed it.

The extra trub will settle out. 80F is not enough to kill the yeast, although it may have been shocked by the temperature change. All that means is it will take a little longer to get going. I've done a number of batches where the pack was smacked only a few hours before pitching. Not ideal, not fatal.

Wyeast's "Activator" smack packs are designed to be smacked only a few hours before pitching. I used one for the first time this past weekend (only my 2nd batch ever). I smacked it when I put the water on to heat, and by the time my wort was cooled, it was blown up like a balloon.

jar said:
Wyeast's "Activator" smack packs are designed to be smacked only a few hours before pitching. I used one for the first time this past weekend (only my 2nd batch ever). I smacked it when I put the water on to heat, and by the time my wort was cooled, it was blown up like a balloon.

When the yeast gets older it takes longer to swell up. Every month past the date on the package is an extra day it should take before the smack pack will swell.

There are plenty of folks (me included) who make no effort to "whirlpool" out (or otherwise remove) the solids floating after the boil. In my opinion, if you like being "hands on" about your brewing, it is a step you can take, but it is far from necessary.

Back