Snap Ferment happens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I pitched my Old Dog Brown about noon on Tuesday, OG 1.052. Wed. morning around 7 a.m. it was down to 1.020 and the temperature was 81F. No, banana though. I cooled it down. Since the target is 1.012, I'll let it go at least another four or five days.

Seven years ago, I would have thought the yeast was dead. Now, I check the gravity.

How often do you check you gravity???

I usually don't open the bucket until I am ready to rack it...

Normally, I get an OG and check it when I rack. I checked it, in this case, because it wasn't bubbling much AND it was 81F. That warm, no action AND no gravity change would have been cause for concern.

I have spigots on all three buckets, so I don't have to open them.

So you use plastic buckets to ferment in? Do you see cause for alarm with bacteria. I was always told never to use plastic where I can help it. Scratches enduce bacteria growth and no matter how well you disinfect you can still harbor some off flavor due to residule bacteria.

Do you find that to be true? Does anyone?

- WW

Seven years of fermenting in plastic and I've never seen any problems. Once in a while I'll bleach the buckets if they've gotten stained, but normally I'll just wash and sanitize.

Latest posts

Back