carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial Pale Ale and it's been sitting in the bottle for 22 days. Yesterday I put all the bottles in my fridge. Today I decided to open one to see how it was going and it's under carbonated. Is my beer ruined or should I let it condition some more. Thanks.

What temp were they conditioning at?
If under ~65F, I would try to put someplace warmer for a little. (a week or two)
I usually don't put more than a 6er in the fridge at a time and don't put more than 1 or 2 in until I know they are carbed up.

I had them conditioning at about room temp. I used 2/3 cup priming sugar for a five gallon batch. Should I have used more?

If it is a higher gravity beer, it may take slightly longer to fully carb. 2/3's of a cup should be okay.

Ok so should leave them in the fridge for another week?

You need to get them out of the fridge and into a 70 degree space for about 3 weeks for a normal gravity beer for them to carb up. They will take forever to carb in the fridge. The yeast has pretty much gone dormant now...

Your beers not ruined, just get them out of the fridge and leave them alone for a few weeks. After they get to room temp for a few days, you may need to roll each one on a table a couple times to resuspend the yeast and get them working again.

Most of us on here suggest the mantra 3 weeks @ 70 degrees...

Here's a little writeup I did on carbonation. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

Patience :mug:

I agree with Revvy. Just like primary fermentation, the yeast needs to be at a warmer temperature to work. You wouldn't put you're primary in the fridge, unless you were making a lager. Put those bottles in a closet somewhere that's about 70 degrees and dark. Forget about them for 3 weeks, then enjoy.

As always, RDWHAHB.

I just put them in the fridge yesterday after 3 weeks of sitting at about 75 degrees.

Well I usually put only one in the fridge for overnight to check cab...and if it's not carbed then I leave them alone and keep checking once a week until the test bottle gets to the carb level I like.

Get them out....give them a roll and let them carb up. All beers do eventially.

This beer had an original gravity of 1.066 and a final gravity of 1.015. Is this considered a high gravity beer?

This beer had an original gravity of 1.066 and a final gravity of 1.015. Is this considered a high gravity beer?

Some consider anything over 1.060 to be a higer grav beer...
others say above 1.070.

It doesn't really matter..the point is that your beer is not carbed yet...but there is nothing wrong, carbing and conditioning is a living process and it has it's own agenda...If you read the link I provided you will see there is no hard and fast rule..it happens when it happens. Some beers take 6 or 8 weeks, some claim they have full carbing after a week (but most of the time they say their beer still is green) but eventually all beers carb up.

just take them back into a 70 degree space again and leave them alone...in a couple days resuspend the yeast...then check one bottle a week until they carb up...and all will be well.

Alright sir, thanks alot I really appreciate your help it brings me peace of mind that my beer is going to be ok.

Back