7.8% AA Cascade Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Cascade hops from ID Carlson marked as 7.8% AA. The chart says that they should fall is the 4% to 7% range. Think that these were mismarked? Or have you seen Cascade this high on Alpha Acid?

Cascades from FreshHops came in at 7.2% this year so it's definitely a possibility. Ranges are typicals. Some years I'm sure the crops come in higher than typical.

HOPS HARVEST PRICE LIST

wow that's pretty high for Cascades. I've got some Galena (12-14% range) that are 10% :mad:

I got some 7.4% cascades I got from morebeer about 6 months ago. It's high, but not out of the ordinary. Looking forward to sampling Edwort's Haus Pale ale in a few weeks made with the 7.4% cascades.

Thanks for the replies. The plan is to use these 7.8%AA Cascades as a substitute for the Amarillo in a Stone XI Anniversary inspired ale. The higher AA may make this a better match. I just hope the flavor and aroma work as well as the bitterness.

I've noticed that ID Carlson hops are often marked with higher AA than those from other suppliers, but I haven't noticed that they added any more bittering.

-a.

I've noticed that ID Carlson hops are often marked with higher AA than those from other suppliers, but I haven't noticed that they added any more bittering.

-a.

It's funny you mentioned that the last hops I used from ID carlson were labeled 11% by them and 10% by the place I bought them. Which one is accurate? (I know 1% isn't much difference just curious)

The company is L.D. Carlson and they are the distributor that every homebrew store buys from. They usually buy all of their hops from Hop Union in bulk and package them in 1 oz. packages for stores.

Old thread I guess... but I just got some Saaz from LD Carlson and they were marked as 5.8. I thought that seemed a little high.

I got a couple of pounds of 8.4% Cascades from Hopsdirect this year! They were a spot on 32 ounces but 8.4%, damnn!:D

Back