Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Hi,

For an AG hefeweizen, is the standard 155 F mash for 60 or 90 minutes good enough, or should there be a "protein" rest in there somewhere at a lower temp? I'm thinking about the protein in the wheat malt.

Also, should I worry about the water mineral and Ph levels for hefeweizen mash?

This is the recipe I plan to use:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=142

You can do a protein rest if you want to try to make the sparge easier. Just don't do too long a rest or your wheat beer won't be cloudy ;)

60 minute mash is fine I'm sure. I've never met anything that didn't convert after an hour.

billism said:
Hi,

For an AG hefeweizen, is the standard 155 F mash for 60 or 90 minutes good enough, or should there be a "protein" rest in there somewhere at a lower temp? I'm thinking about the protein in the wheat malt.

150- 160 for 4-5 hr for a full mash, mash out for 30-60 min. durring which you will do you're hopping as needed at 170-175 use Irish Moss if you do not want a protein haze 10 min at the end of the boil, a little good yeast haze is always ok but that is to come with the pourer, yeast is not a bad thing with this style.

I do heffes all of the time using 5lb wheat and 5lb pale. I mash at 154 for 1hr and it always turns out great. just make sure that you monitor the primary fermentation, wheat beers ferment violently, that is, usually I expext to have to clean out a clogged airlock at least once, sometimes more.

Bruner said:
150- 160 for 4-5 hr for a full mash, mash out for 30-60 min. durring which you will do you're hopping as needed at 170-175 use Irish Moss if you do not want a protein haze 10 min at the end of the boil, a little good yeast haze is always ok but that is to come with the pourer, yeast is not a bad thing with this style.
A 4-5 hour mash? Do your hopping during the mash out? Irish moss in a hefe? :confused: Does any of this make sense?

Thanks for all the replies. =)
Is the fermentation cycle for wheat beers like hefeweizen pretty much the same as any other ale?
1 week for primary fermentation
2 weeks for secondary fermentation
3 weeks for bottle/keg conditioning
Then refridgerate.
?

billism said:
Hi,

150-160deg. for 90min. is good for mashing, for a protein rest raise temp. to 170-175deg. for 30-90min. while continualy stirring the mash, then bring to boil for hopping according to taste or recipe. Cool to 70deg. before pitching yeast I always use a yeast starter for best results.
Good luck and enjoy.

Sorry about the mis- info. I caught my little brother on the computer again, he knows my password this will not happen again. It is a shame that this has happend, I feel bad pleased do not hold this against me you're fellow brewer.

Dutch Brun

Back