Dogwood Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
So I got to thinking... Dogwood wine?

Can't find a recipe out there after googling. Most refer to the berries. I'm thinking the blossoms. Thoughts? They aren't particularly fragrant, but still.

Thoughts?

Are dogwood flowers even edible? Be careful not to pick something poisonous...:drunk:

Anyway, my winemaking book (1958, H.E. Bravery) suggests using 3 pounds white sugar and one teaspoon nutrients to one gallon of water. Boil the sugar water to pasteurize it, add nutrients at flameout, let it cool and pitch a yeast starter of champagne yeast.

Ferment 48 hours and add elderflowers (2 pints to a gallon, and JUST the flowers, as I think elderberries have unpleasant stuff in the stems/leaves), or rose petals (3 pints/gallon), to make flower-scented wines.

I hope that helps somehow... at least as starting guidelines. Someone more experienced could also probably help you, and a man named Jack Keller has a website devoted to funky wines of this nature, too.

haha thanks :) I've got the process down. I was more looking thoughts on how it would turn out flavor/poison wise. I've got like 40 gallons of wine bottled in the back of my house. :)

I emailed the leader of the leader of the governments "National Plant Data Team" to see what they have to say about them being toxic. Apparently they put together all the like plant data sheets for everything that grows in the country. Who knew.

I have a bottle of Dogwood Festival wine from the Fayetteville Dogwood Festival. It is a red blend from a NC winery.

Not the same, but a real coincidence...

A) Well nice to meet another Fayetteville resident.

B) There's been a sporadic thread about starting a brew club in fayetteville you might want to check out.

C) I've got a giant dogwood outside my classroom and that got me thinking about it. But they're already starting to blow off. So time's a wastin' on that one.

Back