How do I keg wheat beer and avoid a ton of sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm going to keg a wheat beer for the first time and I'm wondering if there is any way to keg the beer and still keep the yeast in suspension at all? When I bottled, all I'd do is swirl the dregs of the bottle into the glass to give the beer the proper flavor and mouth feel, but I don't suppose its possible to do this with a keg, haha. So, should I just say to hell with it and cold-crash it before kegging to drop all of the sediment, or is there another way you HBTers have figured out?

Many just swirl the keg every now and then to get the yeast back into suspension. Others will add some wheat flour to the boil while making the beer to add some cloudiness that won't go away so easily. Me, I just keg as normal and enjoy the beer as it changes from cloudy to clear as I drink from the tap.

keg it, let it settle out with time. The first pour, all the settlement will come out.

How many pints of beer should I expect to loose doing it this way?

That would depend on two things: how long the young beer sat in the fermenter(s) before you kegged...and how you define "loose" [sic] (ie: whether you really don't like the character of those first couple of pours)...

Cheers!

How many pints of beer should I expect to loose doing it this way?

I drink the first pour, at that point all it is, is cloudy beer. Hefe's are cloudy beers, soooo why waste it.

Edit: Reading fail you WANT cloudy hefe's. You can stir it up by spinning the contents of the keg, but like I said above, it will somewhat settle out and pour out over time. I personally wouldn't worry or bother doing anything... It will still be cloudy and very wheat like. Most of the mouth feel comes from the wheat content/proteins, not the cloudy stuff.

At the bar I work for we flip the wheat kegs upside down until they're ready to be tapped.

Back