Long Shot Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Since the last thread was closed due to thoughts on the contest and not on the brews thought I would start another strictly about the brews!

I Have not tried the old ale yet. The dortmunder export was ok, but this boisenberry wheat beer is fabulous. I do not like fruited beers, but this is god damn good. I want the recipe for this for sure!

hmm... I didnt notice that the other one was closed.

I really liked the old ale. All of them were pretty good. I hadnt inspected the bottle close enough when I was drinking it. I didnt notice it was 10.6% abv until I got home.:drunk:

- magno

edit: Wow... it got interesting there.

I didnt notice it was 10.6% abv until I got home.
Do you remember getting home?

I haven't seen any of these beers in my local stores yet. Maybe not looking close enough. Looking forward to trying them though.

I did not really care for the Old Ale, I got too much of the 10.6% taste. I think if it was lower it would be a great tasting beer(for me). I liked the Boyesenberry, it was a different taste. I have not gotten to the Dortmunder, I have never had one. I think I will get a bigger name micro to try so I have a basis. I looked forever for this and the Beer Cave finally got 4 cases, I bought two.:tank:

The Old Ale was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. The Boysenberry Wheat was also very good. The Dortmunder was good, but didn't overly impress me. I would for sure buy an Old Ale 6er every now and again if they made it all the time.

I picked up the Sampler Long Shot 6 pack today to get an Ideal of what it should mabye be "shooting for" ! The old Ale and Dortmunder went anything special in my taste! I am not good at discribng beer, but there was no WOW facter with either one! On the other hand I did like the Boyesenberry, its not to fruity and still taste like beer! I don't typicaly like fruity beers but this one is ok! I will stick to stouts and brown ales.

I have been looking to pick up one of these 6 packs but can't seem to find them anywhwere.

Has anyone in the Atlanta area seen them yet?

I thought all 3 were great beers for their styles, none are particularly my favorite styles of beer so I didn't like any of them very much.

The Old Ale was a little bitter for me, the boysenberry wheat was too fruity, and the Dortmunder tasted like a pilsner.

James Spencer of Basic Brewing radio just did an interview with the guy, a SA employee who won the employee contest, who came up with the Bosyenberry Wheat recipe. I'll summarize as best I can.

Wheat Extract
Boysenberry extract
Hefe yeast
Hops I can't remember specificly, but it was one or two small additions of (I *think*) Hallertau.

It really wasn't much of a recipe ;). No specialty grains, if I'm remembering right. I'm pretty sure he used a wheat LME.

Honestly, I think the biggest variable is going to be getting the boysenberry extract right, both in terms of finding a high-quality extract and using the right amount. Don't use a lot of hops, you *might* add a little cystal 10 for some sweetness, but it's really a very, very straightforward recipe.

Beerrific said:
I have been looking to pick up one of these 6 packs but can't seem to find them anywhwere.

Has anyone in the Atlanta area seen them yet?

Found it at Green's.

the_bird said:
James Spencer of Basic Brewing radio just did an interview with the guy, a SA employee who won the employee contest, who came up with the Bosyenberry Wheat recipe. I'll summarize as best I can.

Wheat Extract
Boysenberry extract
Hefe yeast
Hops I can't remember specificly, but it was one or two small additions of (I *think*) Hallertau.

You are right on. Here is the exact recipe for Zymurgy...

From the Jan/Feb Zymurgy (recipe is weird [using tablespoons of hops instead of oz. etc] but thats how it is in the mag). Looks pretty simple too:

6.0lb United Canadian Wheat Extract (??)
1T Hallartau Hop Pellets 4.75%AA 55Min
1.5T Hallarta Hop Pellets 0 Min
2oz. Cellar Pro Boysenberry Natural Fruit Flavoring (added with corn sugar at bottling)
No mention of yeast used - Maybe a hefe yeast, but an american ale might work also. Not sure I'd want banana/clove flavor along with my boysenberry.

I've been wanting to try these, particulalry the Old Ale, but have not seen the sixers anywhere yet.

I saw an ad for it the other night on TV. The ad not only talked about the beer, but the upcoming 2007 competition and was aimed at homebrewers who might want to enter. It showed supposed videos of various homebrewers. One was a girl and guy with a boilover on their stove.:D

Rhoobarb said:
I've been wanting to try these, particulalry the Old Ale, but have not seen the sixers anywhere yet.

I saw an ad for it the other night on TV. The ad not only talked about the beer, but the upcoming 2007 competition and was aimed at homebrewers who might want to enter. It showed supposed videos of various homebrewers. One was a girl and guy with a boilover on their stove.:D

Amazingly I just saw this AD on tv for the first time also (here in PA). The boilover was hilarious (pretty bad one and the girl runs; hahahaha!), but pretty cool commercial. I need to find that variety pack though.

I picked up one of the six packs and I can't say I am overly impressed.

The Dortmunder Export was good, I would buy it again if I could get it by itself.

I was very unimpressed by the Boysenberry Wheat. A very tasteless American wheat drowned in faze boysenberry flavor. Have you every had Abita Purple Haze. Well it is like that only with a stronger and more fake berry flavoring.

I haven't had the Old Ale yet. I will have it tonight while I am grading papers :D.

Is there a recipe out there for the Longshot Old Ale? Loved the stuff. First high gravity brew I've been able to handle.

The Dort was excellent also. The boysenberry wheat was decent, too fruity for my tastes (and somehow I'm turned off by the fact that it's an extract brew :( )

I haven't been able to find them around where I live I asked someone that owns a bar to ask the driver for the distributor for them and get me a case if they have it and I end up with the brewmaster's collection case. Not complaining though good beers. I'm guessing its not sold in my state though or the driver would have known. I know the old ald can't be sold here b/c anything over 6% is illegal. So they probably just don't have the others either.

Back