oak aging & serving in a single corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
Question 1:
I have a stout I am going to age on some oak cubes for awhile. Are there any problems with doing the oak aging in a corny, then removing the oak, carbonating, and serving from the same corny?

I would put the cubes in a sanitized mesh bag before placing them in the corny with the beer.

I'm doing this because I'd like to minimize transfers, oxidation, and work.

Question 2:
I have had the cubes soaking in 80 proof bourbon for a year. Should I take any additional action to sanitize them? Or has the bourbon taken care of that?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Those cubes are good and drunk :ban:

So yeah, ain't nothin' nasty left on those cubes to hurt your beer. I would just pour the oak and whiskey right into the corny. Just make sure that whatever you use to remove the muslin bag after aging is sanitized properly.

It certainly can't hurt. Anything you can do to protect the fermented beer from oxygen exposure is good. When you rack into the keg make sure your racking tube reached all the way to the bottom of the keg. This prevents turbulence and splashing which keeps oxygen off the beer.

Back