Hot break forever, or a screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I brewed the AHS Platinum Bavarian Hefe today. I have brewed it before and it was excellent. I have the Igloo ten gallon cooler, banjo burner, basically the typical set up.

Everything went fine with temps and water amounts (beersmith how do you nail it everytime?).

I checked the boil about halfway through and noticed it looked like hot break proteins boiling up to the surface. They were there all the way to flameout.

I am worried over nothing? The only thing I can think of is that I took my runnings/sparge pretty quickly but I don't think my SS braid was comprimised to let husks/material through.

Oh well, it will still be beer. Maybe chunky style?

~Diz

I usually see a tapioca-like hot break protein rolling throughout my boil. The coagulated proteins aren't going to settle in a rapidly boiling wort, so you'll naturally see them suspended.

Nothing to worry about. I see them in every brew. Some of it even gets to the side of the kettle during the brew and is somewhat difficult to clean up afterwards.

Thank you for the help. It was a great brew last time and didn't want to make a mistake.

~Diz

I just did my first all-grain today and had the same 'forever hot-break' as you describe. After 30 minutes of blowing (and steaming the heck out of my face) on the bubbles to keep them from boiling over my keggle, I finally turned the heat down slightly to the point that the bubbles wouldn't overflow the keggle. Worked fine and I felt comfortable walking away to sanitizer the ferment equipment. Good to hear it's not an unusual occurence.

I like to scoop off the hotbreak with my ladle as it forms. I dont know if it helps, but i feel better doing it. I also think it helps with boilovers.

I had the same thing happen after about 40 minutes into the boil, kinda freaked me out a little, so I am happy to hear it was nothing to worry about.

I used to have this problem until I realized I was just boiling too hard. Once I lowered the flame, I saved a lot of propane, and no boilovers.

Back