What's Brewing This Week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just finished up my blonde tonight. This might have been my fastest AG brew yet, clocking in under 5 hours. I started at 4:30 and everything was put away almost a half hour ago!

This coming weekend I'm doing my belgian dubbel. I'm thinking about putting it in wine bottles and aging it till next winter and giving it as Christmas gifts.

Who else has any brews planned for this week?

Wednesday 12/20 Kegging Obsidian Stout Clone
Thursday 12/21 Brewing Winter Solstice Ale
Monday 12/25 Brewing Schwartzbier
Monday 01/01 Brewing Oak Aged Burbon Porter

:D :D :D :D

Wild

I'm brewing my American Style Maibock this week sometime. My starter is waiting for me.

I'm open to suggestions for the next one- haven't come up with anything yet.

Lorena

I brewed something yesterday. It was 6 pounds of light DME, 8 ounces of 60L steeped grains, 1 ounce each for bittering and finishing of Williamette hops and 11 grams of Nottinghams yeast. Don't know what the hell it is other than great beer. I'm trying to narrow down the taste that I and the wife like. I know that I will not ever buy Northern Brewing hops....way too bitter. I've also learned that I will not make a batch using only LME's. Anyway, I think this brew will be close to an Amercian Amber....or more like an Oklahoma Amber since I brewed it here.

Did my new IPA on Saturday, racked the smoked porter, and finally bottled the altbier last night. Took a sample of the latter; might tasty, IMHO. SWMBO liked it a lot, as well - I was nervous it might be a little too hoppy for her, but she liked it.

I think I'm in love with Munich malt, every recipe I've done lately has used it. :D

Brewsmith said:
I just finished up my blonde tonight. This might have been my fastest AG brew yet, clocking in under 5 hours. I started at 4:30 and everything was put away almost a half hour ago!

This coming weekend I'm doing my belgian dubbel. I'm thinking about putting it in wine bottles and aging it till next winter and giving it as Christmas gifts.

Who else has any brews planned for this week?

I want to do something similar to this for next holiday season. Brew something in early 07 that needs 9 months - year to age...

What long aging brews can I get into. Into pretty much anything other than a barleywine...

Brewed my second IPA on Saturday morning. First time reusing yeast. Was worried, because it took so long to start fermenting. It's going great now; I had to release the pressure from the bucket, as it was coming through the airlock when I got home today! :mug:

We brewed my Ye Olde Ale yesterday(Sunday),an AG recipe generated by Beertools.
Ended up with a 1.068 OG from 14# of grain for 5.75 gals.Nice color,Great aroma and taste(for wort!).Wednesday we'll brew SWMBO's recipe,NitanotherAle.
Cheers:mug:

Yesterdays brew overflowed the airlock overnight!Minor mess but way cool!

We brewed a nice Scottish/Scotch Ale yesterday for a club brew event. I got distracted when i was rinsing the steeping grains, and way over shot on the water. We didn't feel like boiling for an extra hour, so instead of the 1.096 OG 5 gallon batch that we were shooting for, we ended up with a 1.076 OG 6 gallon batch. Should still be a nice beer i think...not quite as big as we were going for but good nonetheless.

I am just going to buy 55 pounds of malt Tuesday and save some cash on the next few batches. Sometime this week I am going to make a Brown Ale. I have been making very hoppy brews lately and need a change. Then going to make another Rye IPA because it was so good.

Have managed to obtain the kit for afielwine (sp). Hopefully firing this up tonight. Greater plans of mice and men and all that...

Well, a post-work Monday brew session is finally complete.......and a black lager is born. Got a 4 pint starter going on Saturday with White Labs German Lager yeast and ended up pitching tonight around 10:00PM. It was a minimash type thang and I beat SG by a few at 1.054. one of the lager-compromises made was to only chill the wort down to about 63F (about as cold as i can get it with tap and a 30' immersion chiller) before I pitched. The yeast wants the 50-55F range, so I'm hoping for the fridge to pull her down towards the ideal range before much fermentation occurs. ....Spent the extra wort-chiller time reading a section of Papazian II about beer planets. (I think it is insane passages like this one that make me re-read so much of his stuff. Brewing beer in a futuristing, utopian, space-traveling, gravity-less beer chamber full of tiny, living beer-planet droplets. This guy is nuts, and I like 'em.)

Regardless, she's in the fridge now, with the blowoff twisting around in as awkward a position it could be and not crimp. I did some measurements wrong with this new(old) fridge and a fermentation lock ain't fittin. But that's a problem for tomorrow. Then, and only then, I'll worry about low-profile airlock design. Tonight, well.....sometime you eat the bar and, well, sometimes the bar it eats you.

("Is that Eastern or something, man??" ...Faaar from it Dude)

Out here on the islands it's just after 8AM. Brewing my first Hefeweizen (Extract with some ground malts added). I am using a Crystal 60 Malt, with the hopes that it turns out with a red/amber final color. Hops are Tettnang and Hallertau and the yeast is White Labs American Hefeweizen.

Hoping for a good result on this one as well. :cool:

Monday: Bottled 10 month old Red Ale (may have been a lager... I don't really remember, it was too long ago)
Tuesday (12/19): Blueberry Red Ale

Sometime this weekend: Helping a friend w/ his next batch, but can't remember what he said it was.

Looks like I won't be brewing for quite some time.
Here's my brewing area on the back porch. They say we got 24 inches of Snow but I think it's more like 30.
2967-BrewSnow.jpg

RichBrewer said:
Looks like I won't be brewing for quite some time.
Here's my brewing area on the back porch. They say we got 24 inches of Snow but I think it's more like 30.
2967-BrewSnow.jpg

Free wort chiller!

Unlike Colorado (30" - yeesh!), we are having unseasonably warm temps and lots of rain. I'm racking my Kelly's Honey Blonde Ale to secondary tonight and will use the yeast in the primary tomorrow. I have tomorrow off and, after I get back from taking the cat to the vet for her yearly check-up, I'm brewing something I'm calling Home Grown Ale.

It will be a simple APA using only hops I grew myself this summer. Nugget for bittering and Cascade for flavor and aroma. I have no idea what the AA% is, so I'm just winging it. I'll toss 'handfuls' in - probably an ounce each - over the course of a 60 min. boil. Should be intersting to see what I get!

The boiling is done and now the fun part begins (Wort Chilling). I don't have a wort chiller yet, and my tap water runs about 70 deg anyhow, so it's ice in the sink. When I move next year, I am praying for a large kitchen and a garage so that I can have a better and more permanent set-up.

Back