Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting back into homebrewing after a nearly decade hiatus (don't ask). Many thanks to Ed for providing just what I needed - a recipe simple enough to ease me back into the brewing life!

I purchased 5 gals of apple juice from Walmart, ordered 2 lbs of dextrose and a pack of Montrechet from an online HBS (no LHBS nearby).

I mixed the juice and dextrose and pitched the yeast last Saturday afternoon. I keep the carboy in a coat closet near the thermostat. We keep the house between 77 and 81 during the summertime. By Sunday morning, the fermentation had begun.

Thanks to EdWort and to all who continue this thread. I'll be posting more as the weeks progress.

BTW, I know I'm supposed to relax and let it sit for weeks, but I love taking a peek every morning before heading off to work!

Cheers!

Thanks Ed for the recipe! It's the perfect thing for a new homebrewer such as myself! I do have a question and I'm trying to read all the forum, but I can't wait any longer for an answer, lol. While my Apfelwien is doing it's magic in the Carboy, and I want to start another carboy with Plum, can I make it the same way, using the same yeast and the same sugar ratio? I have a hankering for Plum since it was Plum wine that got me interested in the Hobby to begin with. With what I'm reading about the Apfelwein, I may not want anything else though, lol.

I just pitched the montrachet into my first batch of Apfelwein! cheers to Ed for this one! I'm also mashing grain for his Haus Pale Ale. It's a two'fer me today :mug:

ok, to be honest. I wasn't impressed by my apfelwein at first. I thought I'd let it sit and hope that I'd develop a taste for it sooner or later, but then I let it carb for a while longer than the original month and it was ****ING AWESOME! It drinks like a beer with a tiny wine taste at the end and gets you passed out druck in like 4-5 glasses (16 oz).

ok, to be honest. I wasn't impressed by my apfelwein at first. I thought I'd let it sit and hope that I'd develop a taste for it sooner or later, but then I let it carb for a while longer than the original month and it was ****ING AWESOME! It drinks like a beer with a tiny wine taste at the end and gets you passed out druck in like 4-5 glasses (16 oz).

That no $hit. I made a bunch of this and bottled it I have stuff left from October last year and some from March. It gets really good if you let it age. That's why (per Ed's suggestion) you need to keep some always in the pipeline!!!!

I totally agree. I found this one hard to force carbonate, but when I let it set for 2 weeks...holy poop!!! It was great! I am drinking as fast as Paris Hilton on spring break. If you haven't made this one, you are wrong!:drunk:

I will be making the original recipe for the 3rd time this weekend. First one I drank after 3 months and it was good but could use more aging. The second batch I'm aging to 6months so it will be ready in Dec. So now it's time to start filling the pipeline...

I just bottled and kegged my first batch that is just under 3 months old. 1 gallon bottled still in wine bottles which is very good.

In the keg I forced carb @12 psi and added:
4 gallons apfelwein
1 gallon apple juice (for sweetness, same as I used to make apfelwein)
5 crushed campen tablets
1.25 tsp pot. sorbate

My kegged version is about 6.5%ABV and tastes closer to commercial cider you would buy only better. And the good thing is my wife likes it. She doesn't like anything dry. Sweetening with juice taste much better than sweetening with concentrate IMO. I will be starting another 10 gallons in the next few days. Original recipe of course, except I use Mott's (can't find treetop)

Ugh, i paid $5.69 a gallon for tree top a couple days ago. It was a bit expensive, but i didn't feel like going to another store just to save a few bucks. I live right next to a costco and it didn't even cross my mind to shop there. ah, well....there's always next time.

I just kegged & bottled the 5 gallons of Apfelwein I started back in early May. And bright boy that I am, there are 5 new gallon jugs of apple juice and 2 lbs of dextrose sitting in my kitchen. :D

I haven't cleaned out the carboy yet, so what is the smart move? Do I pitch the new juice right onto the cake of yeast sitting in my carboy? That ought to get it off to a roaring start. Or do I clean, rinse and sanitize the carboy and bust out a fresh packet of Montrachet?

This dilemma pops up with every batch, and so far I've just gone the new packet route.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the yeast cake is lookin a little funky, and brown. Smells fine, but usually it's lily white. I usually don't leave it fermenting this long. Screw it, Montrachet yeast is cheap.

Quick question (prob Paranoia...lol) I just started home brewing...got my first 10 gal. of Ed's Apfelwein going on the 22 of July...i was grocery shopping with SWMBO today (and i must say this thread alone makes it so i will never see the grocery store especially the juice isle the same way...lol) but in any light i decided to start a few 1 gallon experimental batches...basicly my question is...like a dummy i pitched the yeast before shaking the sugar into disolving ....sooo..it was already to late so i just shook everything up together is this going to kill the yeasties?...or will they be ok...I know i can just sit and wait to see if it starts but im not big on patience (i look at my apfelwein 2x a day...lol) I figured someone could prob answer this for me
Thanks in advance
Tom

Your yeast should be perfectly happy, given my vast experience of three batches. I'm using 71B yeast though, and it seems to just love to gobble up anything.

Isn't concentrate a cheaper way to go with Apfelwein? I noticed when I was buying my Welch's grape at $1.58 at Walmart that the apple concentrate was a mere $1.12 to make 46 oz at regular strength, I think. So a gallon would come in at under $4.

I'm going to use regular sugar next time, as well. How different could it be?

Your yeast should be perfectly happy, given my vast experience of three batches. I'm using 71B yeast though, and it seems to just love to gobble up anything.

Isn't concentrate a cheaper way to go with Apfelwein? I noticed when I was buying my Welch's grape at $1.58 at Walmart that the apple concentrate was a mere $1.12 to make 46 oz at regular strength, I think. So a gallon would come in at under $4.

I'm going to use regular sugar next time, as well. How different could it be?

sweet just what i wanted to hear...lol

as far as the concentrate...hey cheaper is cheaper no matter how u look at it;)
most of the bottled stuff i find around here is from concentrate anyhow so why pay them to mix it for you. as long as its all juice and nothing funky.

In one of my 5 gal carboys i used regular sugar as well...from what i have read so far the effect it has is to give it more of a cidery flavor.

but what do i know i have only made 10 gallons so far and have yet to taste any of them...but reading several thousand posts makes me feel like a apfelwein genious muhahahah:D

Do I pitch the new juice right onto the cake of yeast sitting in my carboy? That ought to get it off to a roaring start. Or do I clean, rinse and sanitize the carboy and bust out a fresh packet of Montrachet?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the yeast cake is lookin a little funky, and brown. Smells fine, but usually it's lily white. I usually don't leave it fermenting this long. Screw it, Montrachet yeast is cheap.

Again with my experaince this doesnt hold much weight but i was going to go off of my existing cake..(im lazy can ya tell:D)

But is is good to know it is normally "lillywhite" several thousand threads and I do believe your the first to point that out.
Thanks
Tom

i tasted my first batch last night after only three days of fermentation. It'll be hard to wait another month + sweet, appley, fizzy, and alreayd a nice alcoholic nose. will fire up a second batch in a couple of weeks!!!

Do I pitch the new juice right onto the cake of yeast sitting in my carboy? Or do I clean, rinse and sanitize the carboy and bust out a fresh packet of Montrachet?

I hang with a wine makers forum or two, and I never even heard of using the yeast more then once till I started reading this forum.
Use the yeast once is wine making thinking.
Use the yeast more then once is beer making thinking.
Apfelwein is wine.
I would never reuse the yeast, especially when it costs so little.
I want consistancy.

The apple juice, I get from Walmart.
I get the juice and not the concentrate.
With the juice, I do not have to add water.
With concentrates, there are more solids present, and you have to add water.
Juice is pasturized, filtered, and ready to go .... no k-meta needed to kill nasties.
Then there is no, "Is tap water ok, should I buy distilled water, should I boil my water"?
I just dump it in as Ed says.
I make 6 gallon batches in my 6.25 gallon carboy.
6 gallons of juice fills it right to where it should be after adding dextrose, etc.
The juice at Walmart comes in 3-quart plastic containers at $2.50 each, that's $3.34 a gallon.
To start with 6 gallons of apple juice, I buy 8 containers which = $20.
I use 2.4 pounds dextrose for the 6 gallon batch, to stay true to Ed's formula.

my 2 cents

I just landed 5 gallons in the carboy and am wondering what should I use to make a fruit flavored wine? I think most of my friends would like something more than the subtle apple aftertase, but have not experience in flavoring wine.

FWIW - My father-in-law has a peach tree that looks to be loaded pretty heavy... Could I use them? How would I do it? I did not add any sugar to the wine.

I hang with a wine makers forum or two, and I never even heard of using the yeast more then once till I started reading this forum.
Use the yeast once is wine making thinking.
Use the yeast more then once is beer making thinking.
Apfelwein is wine.
I would never reuse the yeast, especially when it costs so little.
I want consistancy.

The apple juice, I get from Walmart.
I get the juice and not the concentrate.
With the juice, I do not have to add water.
With concentrates, there are more solids present, and you have to add water.
Juice is pasturized, filtered, and ready to go .... no k-meta needed to kill nasties.
Then there is no, "Is tap water ok, should I buy distilled water, should I boil my water"?
I just dump it in as Ed says.
I make 6 gallon batches in my 6.25 gallon carboy.
6 gallons of juice fills it right to where it should be after adding dextrose, etc.
The juice at Walmart comes in 3-quart plastic containers at $2.50 each, that's $3.34 a gallon.
To start with 6 gallons of apple juice, I buy 8 containers which = $20.
I use 2.4 pounds dextrose for the 6 gallon batch, to stay true to Ed's formula.

my 2 cents

WELL SAID! :mug:

I am feeling the pain of living in Rural Colorado!

$3.99 for Regular No Lead
$4.59 Per Gallon for Kroger Apple Juice (Motts is over $6)
Target has Mots for $3.89 per gallon...but it's $70 worth of gas to get there.

BUMMER!

Ok granted im only 2 weeks along and a little:drunk: but i just pulled a sample from my apfelwein started on 7-22 and it tastes like vinegar?....wtf ...am i just sampling too early or is there something bigger going on? everything was sanitized well and i have not even so much as pulled the airlock until normal until tonight its in a glass 6 gal carboy so whats the deal?
please some one tell me im ok and this is normal...pleeeeease
Thanks Tom

I am feeling the pain of living in Rural Colorado!

$3.99 for Regular No Lead
$4.59 Per Gallon for Kroger Apple Juice (Motts is over $6)
Target has Mots for $3.89 per gallon...but it's $70 worth of gas to get there.

BUMMER!

I get Mott's at BJ's - 2 gallons for $6.49

Has anyone tried juice w/ asorbic acid vs. juice w/o asorbic acid to see if there is a taste difference?

Hi Ed!
I'm going to run this recipe hopefully here in the next 1-5 days. I'm very excited to get it going. I'd like to let it get a nice age before these cold months come on. It sounds just about perfect, especially heating it up and putting it in mugs on those cold days (like you suggested). I'll be sure to post a picture or two, and also let you know how it all turns out.

Mit vielem Dank für Mitbenutzung,
Pat

Woohoo! First post! I've been lurking here reading this thread for the past few weeks and decided to get a batch under my belt. I have only brewed beer until now and this seemed like something quick and cheap I could do in between brewing big IPAs. Plus, maybe the wife will like it...she does not like beer and therefore never likes what I brew.

My 5 gallon batch has been in primary for exactly 2 weeks and seems to have stopped bubbling altogether. I don't have an exact temp reading but it has been in the 70-75 degree range in my basement.

Its not done already, is it? I've seen many posts here with people waiting 12 weeks to bottle. 4 weeks seems to be the minimum. I have no problem waiting a few more weeks, its just strange that its not doing anything right now.

2.5 gal created 6/24/08.
Kegged and carbed 7/21/08.

Tasted a small sample at 4 weeks. I didn't give it the 3 glass rule, so I wasn't impressed. I only used apple juice (no sugar) as I didn't want the alcohol spike.

I'm going to let it age for 3 to 4 months before giving it another try.

Note: yes, it was only 2.5 gal. In a DUH! moment, I bought 5 bottles of apple juice to make a 5 gal batch (the bottles are only 1/2 gal bottles). :drunk:

Its not done already, is it? I've seen many posts here with people waiting 12 weeks to bottle. 4 weeks seems to be the minimum. I have no problem waiting a few more weeks, its just strange that its not doing anything right now.

First off....Welcome!

Secondly....NO IT ISN'T DONE till it's clear....I mean really read a news paper through 5 gallons clear! 4 weeks BARE minimum. And try not to get too excited about it until you are 6 or 8 weeks out, or you'll end up drinking it all, then you won't have any aging. Also...>See page 1 of this thread. YOU NEED TO GET YOUR NEXT BATCH ON THE ROAD!

:mug:

Original Recipe has been fermenting for a week and 3 days. Fermentation has slowed considerably (a bubble every 5 sec or so). The 'must' is still cloudy. So now the long wait until fallout begins... Of course, now it's easier to just relax and not sneak a peek every day when there's "nothing to see here!"

I can wait, I just have to get the next batch going. I think this weekend there will be another 5 gallons going into yet another carboy.

My recipe is pretty standard. 5 gallons stop&shop apple juice, from concentrate. 2 pounds dark brown sugar. Montrachet yeast. I'm hoping to get a little bit of molasses flavor from the dark brown sugar, we will see. I wonder what mole-asses taste like anyway :cross:

2.5 gal created 6/24/08.
Tasted a small sample at 4 weeks. I didn't give it the 3 glass rule, so I wasn't impressed.

This is wine after all, don't expect a drinkable product that soon. Wine and mead take what, 6 months+ to really come to flavor? But I'd be lying if I said I didn't drink 10 gallons of green Apfelwein in the last 2 months :mug:

But seriously, now that I get to try it at different stages of aging, I never go back. It tastes like a cheap ass CVS pharmacy wine early on. Later though, bring me some aspirin baby, it's gonna be a night. :tank:

This is wine after all, don't expect a drinkable product that soon. Wine and mead take what, 6 months+ to really come to flavor? But I'd be lying if I said I didn't drink 10 gallons of green Apfelwein in the last 2 months :mug:
That could be my problem right there... I don't particularly like wine. :p
I plan to try it with some 7-up and also try maybe backsweetening it. If I can come up with something I like, I'll make some more then. I'm in no hurry, I have lots of beer on tap. :)

Holy crap! I finally looked in on my latest batch (mixed Sat). It looks like it is at a full rolling boil. My airlock is full and sounds like a machine gun- thank God for no krausen:D
All that I've had in the past were a few bubbles on top. Temp is around 68. The only thing I did different was substituted 1 gal of apple juice with 1 gal of applejuice with strawberry (100% juice) for a taste experiment.

I plan to try it with some 7-up and also try maybe backsweetening it. If I can come up with something I like, I'll make some more then. I'm in no hurry, I have lots of beer on tap. :)

Just a suggestion -after about 4 weeks, siphon out about 12 ounces into a jar you can put a lid on. Let it sit in the fridge for a day then taste it. Do this once every week or so.
What you will find is that this has different stages with very different tastes. You are bound to find a stage you like.

Well, I decided to go ahead and try another sample last night (it's 6 weeks old). It poured from the keg beautifully and was extremely clear. It wasn't bad. I decided to try some 7-up with it and didn't think about checking this thread for the ratio, so I went 1:1. It was very good, but too sweet and too much 7-up flavor, so I'll make adjustments to the ratio on subsequent samples.

Next time I'll have to take gravity readings to try to determine the ABV.

OK i just got done reading through all 3638 posts and somewhere along the way (wish I would have started from the beginning) I started collecting some CLASSIC quotes.
I thought it would be amusing and break the monotony of... i followed the recepie exactly except.....
so any how here they are.(sorry if i didnt give everyone there credit but you know who you are)

Yeah, but you can die from all sorts of activities like driving to work, dropping a carboy, plane crashes, asteroids, etc.

It will sneak up on you so fast, you'll wake up and wonder where your pants are.

I don't recommend adding more than 3 pounds of dextrose to a 5 gallon batch. Any more will make it drier than a popcorn fart.

Whats the 3 glass rule ?
Ya gotta drink 3 glasses before passing judgment.
Depending on the size of the glass, some folks just pass out before passing judgement.

Yep, you can get hammered before quaffing too much to instigate irritable bowel syndrome.

It's crisp, clean, & refeshing, all making you want more. Then a little buzz will start. Hey, this is pretty good!! Before you know it pint glasses are going down with such ease right before you pass out.

Originally Posted by EdWort
Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR the next morning![/b]

Yes, grasshopper, the goal does seen so outlandish that it can make one wet himself profusely, BUT it can be achieved if you build up a 30 gallon stockpile and put some away just to see the difference. It is a worthy goal and the rewards are great!

I realized later that corn sugar dissolves easier than listerine strips. wtf???

Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Guys in prison use it all the time, and they seem happy with the results.
They also do other things that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with.

Originally Posted by BigKahuna
if this is the "Elephant Fart" smell you all talk about, I'VE BEEN HORRIBLY MISINFORMED ABOUT ELEPHANTS.

I think I've crossed that line...between Hobby and mental illness!

After reading recent posts I think this stuff might cure cancer, establish world peace and grow hair!

Even the heartiest biggest rough and tumble lumberjack Oil Rigger will have issues if he doesn't mind his apfelwein

My sister passed out, my wife is still puking this afternoon and my head felt like it got smashed between 2 bricks. This stuff is amazing but holy sheet it sneaks up on you faster then a phantom fart.

Just wait till you get the "Maybe You'd like to sleep with your Damn Apfelwein...That's all You ever talk about" Speech.
I got that one Sunday Silly woman.

I know they are :off: but it was just for fun

:mug:
Tom

Apfelwein is OPERATION MINDCRIME...bang it out:rockin:

images

Back