What's that consensus can't lager lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My lagering system is royally messed up. I think it's some Wyeast Krolsh yeast you guys use to ferment in the 60s and get lager characteristics. Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

If you are talking about Koelsch yeast, it's definitely an ale yeast. But it ferments at cooler temperatures than most other ale yeasts and produces a very clean flavor profile, as long as you wait until the sulfur notes disappear and give it a sufficient lagering period.

Sweet. With a 1.044 OG any idea how long of a turnaround you're looking at than for each stage. I'll be around 62°F. Lagering will be mid 30s.

I'd leave it to ferment at 62 until it slows down, then let the temp free-rise to about 70ish for a d-rest and to maximize attenuation. Give it 10-14 days before lagering it for 2-6 weeks, depending on how patient your are.

Note: I only have experience with pale German beers brewed this way - this yeast and procedure might not work well at all for dark lagers and beers from other parts of the world.

Back