low FG for an Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady oaks

Reaction score
Does 1.013 sound rather low for an Irish Stout. I don't have an accurate OG, but it was around 1.040. I did a 3 gallon boil, lost about 3/4 gallon to evap. and added water in the primary to a total of 5 gallon. I have tasted it and it starts off a little watery, and finished with a good stout taste after several seconds on the taste buds. I thought at first it was the temp and no carbination. Also, if my math is right, that only puts the batch around 3% ABV, sounds really low for a stout. I don't doubt that it will turn out, just curious.

I'm actually listening to the jamil show podcast on dry stout right now and yours sounds nicely within style. I do prefer a little more abv but the style goes as low as 1.036. You do want pretty strong attenuation according to them. You're just fine.

1.040 is actually right smack in the middle of the OG range for the style, so I think you're good here. Dry Stout is a session beer, full of flavor and light on the alcohol. I calculate your ABV to be 3.4%, perfectly acceptable for a Dry Stout in my mind. You might drop another point or two, though. How long has this been in primary?

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better knowing I didn't mess something up. It's been in the primary just over 2 weeks now. I checked the gravity Sunday morning, and again today, and both were exactly the same.

Back