5 1 gallon jugs (carboys)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been done a few times for experiments/ flavoring. I had a batch I pulled off 1 gal and added oak and coffee. Works good post-primary fermentation, but can be done at any time. The yeast is the hard part, thats why I say post-ferm.

Well I was thinking about dividing it right after I pinch the yeast. I will get an air lock for each.

Pitch.

You'd really be better off letting it ferment out first and then splitting the batch. If you make additions during the fermentation, it is a possibility that they'll just get blown out anyhow.

Yeah, in total agreement with doing the whole batch together in primary, then racking into your 1 gallon jugs and various spices, etc. You're likely to loose what your looking for with your additions if you do them in primary.

not to mention risking your yeast not being mixed well and 1-4 of your gallon jugs not fermenting at all or completely. Plus flavor additions are best (read:Most Common) for secondary

I have some gallon and halfgallon jugs for just that reason. I have been experimenting with apfelwein and mead.

Many people will split 5g batch into 5 1g carboys to experiment with yeast. People don't realize how much a different years will impart a different flavor.

I was thinking about something similar this morning.

You know the carb tabs you use to prime individual bottles? How about they make them with flavor extract combined in the tabs?

You could make a batch of wheat that was a six pack cherry, a six pack peach...

Would there be enough demand for a manufacturer to try that?

For those in need, stop by your local steakhouse/bar/resturant. My gf works at a Longhorn steakhouse. They use a LOT of Franks red hot for wing sauce. In the past 2 weeks I have happily aquired 4-1gal jugs!

Im sure if you ask nice, they will toss you a few.

Thanks for the tip on the (hot sauce) jug score. I will have to ask about that. Kinda on the same subject, do most bars cooperate with you to get their old bottles?

It sounds like a good idea.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to try it with a batch of natural cider and spice it different ways.

the only draw back would be the extra sanitation. Then again, I'm pretty lazy.

B

Thanks for the tip on the (hot sauce) jug score. I will have to ask about that. Kinda on the same subject, do most bars cooperate with you to get their old bottles?

The only problem I see with the bottles is, with all of the bmc drinkers (unfortunate souls) you would probably get a majority of twist offs.

When I made my first ghetto-rigged batch of hard cider, I bought the juice in a 1 gallon glass jug. I then used that jug as the fermenter. So if you need 5 1 gallon jugs, might as well make a batch of hard cider. It's probably $5 a jug, which is only a little more than the empty jug.

When I made my first ghetto-rigged batch of hard cider, I bought the juice in a 1 gallon glass jug....

That does not sound that ghetto to me. It sounds like good math. I often use my 1 gallon jugs for experiments on juice concentrates.

If you want ghetto try to ferment pretzels. Or really just start adding anything in the cupboard to the wort. We have tried tea, creamed corn, canned potatoes, and just about everything in the cupboard that did not have any real preservatives. Then there is the whole jelly section at the store.

Back