Beer by mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So.. lil strange question. And I'm sure I'll get a quicker response here than from the local USPS. What are thier regulations on mailing beer? Do they care? Do they even allow it?

Thing is, I live in Alaska, most of my family is not in Alaska. I would like to share some of my first homebrew, and this is the only way I can think of how (short of having them visit).

Thoughts?

I believe the laws in the US are you can't mail beer, especially over state lines.

..::Edit::.. But.... you can always mail yeast samples in propagation medium :p.

lol, I must have been editing my post as you were posting. Anyways if you do ship them make sure they are well sealed/bagged you definitely don't want the beer leaking out if a bottle should break.

Ya I'm only looking to sent 1 bottle to a few folks (it's a taste after all). Not like I'll be sending out cases :)

On that note, do FedEx/UPS not have similar cross-state-line-beer rules?

My understanding is that mailing alcohol through the USPS is illegal. It is NOT illegal to do it through UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc, but they may tell you it's against policy.

Essentially, it's not legal, but it boils down to which agency of the government you want to run afoul of and what is the liklihood of enforcement, siezure, or civil or criminal fines.

1) It is against Federal law to ship alcohol via the USPS.
2) It's against policy to ship alcohol via Fed Ex, DHL, UPS unless you are a valid shipper of alcohol. If your package breaks, they may turn your package to your state's alcohol control board or they may return it to you, or they may dispose of it, or they may re-pack it and ship it. You are at the mercy of that employee.
3) It's undoubtedly against state law (UT inparticular) to ship beer. I read on realbeer that UT's ACB has siezed likely alcohol shipments. Google it.
4) It's against the law to ship alcohol to minors.
5) It's against the law to ship alcohol to another country without using a customs approved shipper. See beertown.org for information about their world beer contest.

So don't do #1 or #4 or #5. If you do #2, make sure your package is bulletproof. Don't identify the contents as alcohol. Dont' get insurance, etc.

My understanding is that mailing alcohol through the USPS is illegal. It is NOT illegal to do it through UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc, but they may tell you it's against policy.

They might tell you it is against policy if you tell them you're shipping beer. :) I don't bother telling them what is in the package. USPS will always ask and I've done it, but I feel better going to a small UPS vendor and just sending it.

A note on packing, wrap each individual bottle VERY well in bubble wrap. Wrap ALL of your packed bottles in a giant, good-quality trash bag to contain the liquid if a bottle breaks.

A dry box is unlikely to be opened by an employee. A dripping wet box that smells of beer will almost CERTAINLY be opened by an employee.

Pack it like it's worth a thousand bucks, and it should get there safely. Be smart.

I did a secret santa thing on a national board and my elf wanted local microbrews, so I wrapped each bottle tightly in bubble wrap, newspaper, then put each of them in a sealed gallon ziplock bag, then wrapped all of the ziplock bags in a trash bag that I wrapped heavily with packing tape and then very tightly packed and padded the box on all sides. It was an enormous box, but most carriers charge by weight.

I actually wondered this too because I was thinking that it would be nice if online homebrew supply stores could send you "samples" of what their kits is supposed to taste like and you could then use this to determine if you want to brew it and then gauge your finish product against the sample.

I know, its a pipe dream - logistically near impossible but sure would be nice.

I actually wondered this too because I was thinking that it would be nice if online homebrew supply stores could send you "samples" of what their kits is supposed to taste like and you could then use this to determine if you want to brew it and then gauge your finish product against the sample.

I know, its a pipe dream - logistically near impossible but sure would be nice.

Plus, they would need a competent brewer there constantly making those kits.

The state laws vary. California is actually pretty lax so I hear.

I was contemplating this myself. I was seriously thinking of mailing the beer right when I bottle it, so that it is "carbing" while I ship it. No positive pressure this way.

But yes, "Live yeast cultures" would be a perfectly valid description!

Go to Ratebeer and Beer Advocate and rummage through their articles and posts about this. Beer trading is pretty common. They have all sorts of advice on who to use, how to label, what you can get away with. People use USPS.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=174

(skip the first few paragraphs)

I had to ship to bottles of rum to a friend a few states away. I used a Pelican case and zip tied and taped it shut. Then just had him ship me the case back. This way they think its equipment and the case w/ the foam inside is just about bullet proof!

The big thing is making sure that the package doesn't leak if one of the bottles break. B/c you dont want to mess up anyone else's package if yours fails to make it there.

Here's the "official" go-round on international shipping and customs brokerage for the WBC: World Beer Cup - Competition Info

Just putting this up because it took me 40 clicks to find... damn their site... Very interesting info though! And they call them Yeast samples for analysis too!

Back