keg storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomedumbJerk

Reaction score
can kegs sit on thier sides? seems like no, with the tubes and all. but i have a working freezer in my garage, with the shelves that are wired in, so tall kegs wont fit. just making sure i can't only use pony kegs...

You wouldn't have a problem if you were just storing them. But the problem comes when you pour from them because the dip tube may not be underneath the beer level which creates obvious problems....NO BEER! I'm sure you can find some way to get the wire racks out. How about a dremel or other grinder

If you modify the beer tube inside the keg, you can lay the keg on its side. This involves removing the tube, shortening it slightly and bending it so it touches the side of the keg rather than the bottom. The keg would lie on the rack with the beer connector on the bottom. Then, you'd have to put something on the racks so the front (top) is slightly higher than the back (bottom).

You can't just rotate the tube, as they are keyed in position.

If you are careful about the mod, you'd still be able to use the keg standing up later.

Back