Interesting Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I want to make a Wit for MD brewday. 90% of all wit recipes are the same. Equal amounts of Pils and Wheat. Corriander and Orange peel for spices.

So I wanted to try something different. Here's what I have so far for hops/grain bill - but I want to get away from the 'corriander/orange' standard. What other cool ingredients might you suggest to go along with this?

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/4/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.30 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 44.2 %
4.25 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 41.7 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
0.25 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.18 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (30 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 14.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.7 SRM

Paradise Seeds. Might give a nice spice without going the coriander/BOP route. I LOVE the smell of Paradise Seeds. mmmmmm!

Also choose your yeast carefully. I used the Forbidden Fruit on my last one and it was awesome.

Yeah, another kind of citrus could be nice, and grains of paradise or maybe black peppercorn for that spicy note. Another good one to use is Camomile tea.
I like your recipe until you get to the biscuit malt; that seems a bit strange to me in a wit. But maybe it'll be great?!

Looks excellent. You don't need the irish moss for this style, and some rice hulls might help you sparge all that wheat. I just did 2 batches of a very similar recipe and was please with the result. What kind of yeast/microbes had you planned on using?

Back