Nylon rope?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
Is nylon rope suitable for hops growing? It seems to me it should last longer than any sort of natural rope and would be reusable year after year. Is there a better alternative?

yeah, i saw that. that's actually what prompted me to post this question that i've been wondering about. $6 doesn't seem bad, but the s&h is like $9 - burn...

IMHO, I would go with a natural fiber like cotton. Nylon will brake down very quickly in the sun light.

On the other hand, cotton brakes down when constantly wet (and stretches), but I've had the same cotton bow line on my boat since '97 and if the boat's not in the water (it almost never is) then the rope is laying on the ground in the mud.

Just buy a roll of twine. For one thing you get a lot for super cheap. You could have something more permanent that costs more, but it would be a pain when harvesting time comes. I don't imagine you have a cherry picker or something. You'd have to stand up there with your ladder or whatever and pick the vine for a while. If using twine you just cut it and the hop vine where it meets the ground and top support, take the whole piece, then sit on the ground with a bucket and tarp laid out picking away. Much more comfortable that way than being up high for a long time. Something more permanent would require unraveling the vine from it, then taking it down and harvesting unless you have some way of staying up there.

Stout Man, what about just untying the knot at the top of the yarn? Or even using a pulley system to lower the entire thing to the ground?

My solution is baling twine. Ofcourse my dad is a farmer and uses tons of this stuff when making hay. :D
I think I would go with natural.

Craig

I don't reuse the string because I'm too lazy to untangle the bines. I just compost the bines and string after I harvest the cones...

I was actually thinking about hooking set of permanent ropes up to SS disconnects (caribiners or something). See, I think I am going to run a SS eyebolt into the side of my garage at the ridge and string 6 ropes out to stakes, like a 1/2 xmas tree.

Maybe a polypropylene? Or dacron?

Back