Maryland Big Brew Day 2007!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
claphasma said:
how do these things work? should we bring something?

Bring whatever brewing stuff you can. :) If you have them, bring your propane burner, kettle, mash tun and spoons and stuff. Also, bring ingredients for your batch!

If you DON'T have equipment (when I was extract brewing I was stuck on my stove, so...) bring beer. :mug: Homebrew is preferred, sharing your own is excellent. If you don't have your own for whatever reason, bring whatever you feel comfortable bringing - a 6er of Bud or a keg of some exotic import - whatever. We've all had cash flow problems, so even if you can't bring beer for a group, don't worry! These thigns are about beer, beer and learning. The important thing is that you come willing to have fun and learn. You'll watch people who are brewing all-grain who might do things differently than you - learning why they do it (and determining if you want too) is the point. Perhaps you're not an all-grain brewer because you think it's too hard, you'll see guys do batches and learn it's easy.

Perhaps you don't have enough space to do all-grain? Cool! There's extract guys who pop in too, who can go over the benefits of doing this or that, or using this or that ingredient. The point, really, is don't be an ass and everything else will be all right. :) RDWHAHB

[quote='DraconianHand'}Do you want us to pack out the used grain or do you have a method of disposing of it?[/quote]

Great question! I'm used to chucking mine behind my apartment in the 2 foot strip of land the arsehole who owns the car wash claims he owns. Standing up for property rights AND feeding local wildlife - score! That said, I'll be happy to dump my grains over the fence if you've got annoying neighbors but I'm just as happy to lug it home if that's what's gotta happen. :)

What time is this going down? Do you want to PM people with your address or do you want us to PM you with an "RSVP"? I'm almost positive I'll be there (and I told my phone to remind me!) barring something unexpected.

Also, we REALLY should put this in our signatures! Maryland has a STRONG homebrew following so letting people know about this who might not look for local events could be good. I know on average, for every 5 people who agree to some IRL meeting, 1 person shows and I'd like to have the biggest meeting possible.

***Warning - Poster may have been druck ***

I think we need to get a confirmation of who's coming. Then a confirmation of what we want to brew.

Like I said, if someone else can bring the fryer, I've got big pots to do 11 gallon batches, so that's 2 full carboys per boil. I have a keggle if needed that we can do 2 batches at the same time.

Depending on how many people show up, if we do 2 rounds of brews in those, we'd have 8 take homes. Not including anyone who brings any other burners and pots.

We can certainly discuss recipes. I have an good irish red that everyone seems to enjoy. Alt's are a quite bit malty, but enjoyable.

I'm up for anything though.

I have a 20QT pot, but thats my biggest piece of equipment.... im still on the stovetop, and hoping to buy a house in the next 2-3 months....

I can chuck grain....it's called the trashcan :D I can always put it in the woods if I want to as well

As far as what I have:

Up to 3 propane tanks, 1 burner, small ass pot
snazzy snazz 10 gallon MLT cooler
plenty of sanitizer, etc, spoons, paddles, more ****

addition...send me a PM for RSVP.....I think we should start brewing around 11am?

I have:

a couple of 5 gallon pots (a bit difficult to do full boils in)
5 gallon cooler MLT
homebrew
can bring ingredients (let me know what is needed)

PM sent.

98 and I just talked, but I have:

2 - 15 gallon brewpots (enough to make 10 batches in each)
1 - 10 gallon Mash Tun
2 - Burners
1 - CFC

Misc other spoons and such.

98 - How big is your brewpot? Would it make a decent HLT for the sparge waters? Maybe we need 2 pots of at least 7 gal for sparge waters....I only have my big kettles for that.

Wow, I found this website looking for some stir plate tips, now I've found a brew day right around the corner.

I'm Dave from Severna Park. Don't know if the date works or if there is room. Been brewing for about 15 years and can contribute a burner, tank, 50qt mash tun (cooler) and a keggle. Basically I max out at 10 gallon batches.

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome Dave! I don't think there's an issue with room as of yet. I think we need to get an official Signup thread going.

Good to see you found our little heaven and get to participate in a brewday right out the gate. And we can always use more experienced guys at the events, as I know a lot of the people seem interested in watching and learning, so we need someone to keep an eye on the mashes.

Long-time extract brewer looking to move on to All-Grain, might come to the Maryland Big Brew Day... Just built my Rubbermaid MLT and I'm looking to break it in.

Can I use the big-brew-day for some on-the-job AG training, or would I just be getting in the way?

chris.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of people looking to learn the AG process watching intently (and helping out when needed).

Unless you pass out in front of the kettle it's hard to be in the way.

If you like brewing, in whatever fashion, come on over. :)

I've done the "majority" of my beers as all-grain and I'm still looking forward to learning from the other guys. :)

Ah the 23rd. Bummer I'll be working.

I work for a company that builds the wireless cameras and mics for ESPN events.

If you guys turn on ESPN2, the drag race in Pheonix should be on (hopefully finally in HD) and maybe you'll see a guy with a camo floppy hat sitting in a golf cart behind the start line waiting for something to break. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back