Dead fruit fly in air lock. Toss the batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajlee

Reaction score
I was transferring to the secondary and found a dead fruit fly in the air lock. I did not see any indication of fruit flies in the fermentor. My wife read in some wine making text that fruit flies in the airlock means larvae in the batch. I think it's probably OK, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I think that wine-making text is hooey. Or... wait... does does your airlock have a cover to keep flies out?

Fruit flies are a serious danger to your beer, but in the airlock is OK. I'd clean that airlock out and replace the fluid in it though.

What's in your airlock? And, why doesn't it have a cover for this reason? (If it does have a cover, now that might be a problem!)

I'd wait to see what the pros here say.
I'd say don't drink out of the airlock. It would have to be pretty bad for me to dump 5 gal of beer.

Drosophila are most common in the red eye variety. Was it a white eyed, male? Those are the rarest. As a science teacher these things excite me.

The airlock does have a cover, but there are small holes in the top that he got through (standard three piece) . I just had water in the airlock, not starsan or anything

Cider123 said:
Drosophila are most common in the red eye variety. Was it a white eyed, male? Those are the rarest. As a science teacher these things excite me.

Lol. This was my first thought as well. We science teachers are an odd bunch.

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Good to know there is nothing to worry about. I'll start using StarSan... and tell my wife to get a new wine book :)

I started using cheap vodka in my airlock. Other than there being a bit of an alcohol twinge when I sniff the airlock (yeah, I'm one of those...), it seems to work very well!

TheJasonT said:
I started using cheap vodka in my airlock. Other than there being a bit of an alcohol twinge when I sniff the airlock (yeah, I'm one of those...), it seems to work very well!

I do this too. Works great

I use tequila, though it's the only booze in the house.

I've had that happen a couple of times. They don't seem to drink all that much. Proceed as normal but consider vodka or Everclear in the airlock.

Having a dead fruit fly in the airlock is a good sign- a sign that the airlock did its job and kept the fruit flies out of the fermenter. That happens to me sometimes, especially with wine fermentations. But I've never had a spoiled batch yet!

You don't want to know how many barrels I would have thrown away if a fruit fly in the airlock was the reason :drunk:

*edit* and get some Starsan or Purisan for your airlock already.

Ever been in the barrel room of a winery during fermentation? Fruit flies everywhere. As long as they aren't in your beer, you're fine. Heck, even if one does get into your beer, you're most likely fine.

Ditto. You're fine. I also use everclear in my airlocks.

Besides, if you did have larvae in your beer, it's just protein. You could bottle it with the larvae and call it "tequila" beer.

Remind your Wife that real women "eat the worm." ;)

Back