Fruit and Spice Beer Mango Habanero Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goo-gone

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-04 (half packet)
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
na
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nope
Tasting Notes
Lots of flavor from the mangos and habs, without being overwhelmning or spicy
3 lb Light LME
1 lb Wheat LME
0.25 lb carapils
0.25 lb crystal

0.25 oz UK Fuggle @ 60 min
0.25 oz UK Fuggle @ 20 min
2 Mangos, peeled and cubed @ 14 days for 7 days
10 WHOLE Habaneros @ 14 days for 7 days

I really wanted to get some habanero fruit/citrus flavor out of the peppers, without adding any heat at all. Keeping the habs whole lets some flavor leech out, without letting the spice get into the beer.

I never did get a second, noticeable fermentation from the addition of the mangos. Since I didn't puree them, I didn't even try to estimate the sugars that were added.

3 lb Light LME
1 lb Wheat LME
0.25 lb carapils
0.25 lb crystal

0.25 oz UK Fuggle @ 60 min
0.25 oz UK Fuggle @ 20 min
2 Mangos, peeled and cubed @ 14 days for 7 days
10 WHOLE Habaneros @ 14 days for 7 days

I really wanted to get some habanero fruit/citrus flavor out of the peppers, without adding any heat at all. Keeping the habs whole lets some flavor leech out, without letting the spice get into the beer.

I never did get a second, noticeable fermentation from the addition of the mangos. Since I didn't puree them, I didn't even try to estimate the sugars that were added.

How did it turn out? I have wanted to find a mango hab. Recipe. I think I will try this

I would really like to try a one or two gallon batch of this. curious as to how it came out as well.

First batch was received well among the more timid and more adventurous alike. Im about to bottle a second round thats been sitting on the mango and habs for almost 2 weeks.

If you try this, I would love to get some feedback.

Will do. Before I saw this recipe, I wanted to make a spicy mango flavor. U answered what I was looking for. Thanks. I. Will comment back.

How strong is the mango flavor and in what part of the beer? (Is it the first thing u taste or what part)

I would describe the flavor as a hint, the way I prepared the mangos, and say they're present for a small portion of the drink. I cut them into French-fry-sized pieces, froze them, and dropped them into the fermentor. I'm sure if you mash or purée them you'll get much more flavor. I didn't want either flavor to be overwhelming.

I want a 50/50 between mango and spice.
What is the purpose of freezing the mangoes?

it supposedly breaks up the fruit/cells so more flavor is leeched out.

Habaneros are a very oily pepper. Did you notice any issues with that? (terrible head retention, film on the beer etc)

Did you do anything to sanitize the habs or mango?

That's interesting
I would have never thought of that. And I have heard to sanitize by smoking them or grilling them. I have no idea about the oily part. If you find an answer. I would love to hear it before I get the oily problem

No real issues with head retention. And I drank it fairly quickly. I don't think gave it more than 2 weeks in the bottle.

No I didn't do anything to special sanitize the habs or mangos, other than freeze them, which I'm not sure actually sanitizes them.

the recipe I followed and posted is for a split 5-gallon batch. I think I got two and a quarter gallons after some trub loss.

Can u grill or smoke mangos? I think a Smokey flavor with the habs and mangos would taste very nice.

What type of yeast did you use? Did you bottle ot keg? If you bottled, what did you prime with?

Perfect. One last question. How much sugar did you use to prime? Im thinking about trying this in a 5 gallon batch. Thanks for the help.

I made a different volume than I assume you're going to make. Do a search for priming sugar calculator.

Back