expensive ag ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this will sound stupid since grain has been stored at ambient temperatures in various climates for millennia. What about temperature of storing bulk grain? My garage has an insulated door, but ambient room temperatures in the summer can reach well over a hundred, especially in the afternoon when the sun hits the door directly.:eek:

I do not know but I would say like anything else high heat would not be good for storage . I store mine in freezer but I suspect that fridge would be good . Grain is stored in elevators for a year or two with no problems . they surely get quite hot in summer .

Go here to read up on grain storage problems .. http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AED/AED-20.html

although it is for elevators I think some would apply to this .

So I now can give you some numbers from today at the LHBS .
2 row $7.50 for 5 pds and about 10.00 cheaper for 50 pds.
US 05 $3.20
8 oz sanitizer $5.95
briess caramel $2.35 pd
munich $1.60 pd
cascade hops $2.95
centennial hops $3.25
fuggle hops $ 3.25

Does that say you paid 7 50 a pound for 2 row?

no it was 5 pds . Seems reasonable after I looked all over on line and really could not save much and since I do not have to wait on it or hope no one steals it before I get home if shipped then I guess that is not bad .

I just bought the supplies for my next batch, from my LHBS. 12 lbs of grain, 3 oz. of hops and a yeast smack pack. The total was $28.

Back