Verify my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I am brewing 5 gal batch of Dunkelweizen OG 1.055 and using Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

From the pitching rate calc,

I should have 2 yeast packs or create a 1.79L of starter.

for the starter I should have 8.5 c water and 1.5 c of DME and 1 Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

Does above look correct?

Does it mater what type if DME I use?

From what I read, I should place in refrigerator and decant (pour off) the wort and just add the yeast cake to batch?

Thanks

Water to DME ratio should be 1 gram of DME for every ten ml of water. So, 1.79L = 1790 ml, ~1800 ml needs 180 grams of DME. Use weight measurements for DME and not volume, as one cup of DME can vary in weight based on humidity, density, etc. Use the lightest DME available; extra light, light, pilsen, golden, those are all good.

Water to DME ratio should be 1 gram of DME for every ten ml of water. So, 1.79L = 1790 ml, ~1800 ml needs 180 grams of DME. Use weight measurements for DME and not volume, as one cup of DME can vary in weight based on humidity, density, etc. Use the lightest DME available; extra light, light, pilsen, golden, those are all good.

Thanks NordeastBrewer;

I guess I was rounding up my ml to 2000 which might not be the right thing to do. I have a weight scale so I will be able to weigh out the 180 g of DME.

Thanks for your help. Now I got to find something to hold 2l in. I bought a 1L flask thinking that was big enough.

Do you want a balance between banana and clove character? Underpitching will give you more banana. Overpitching will give you more clove.

Do you want a balance between banana and clove character? Underpitching will give you more banana. Overpitching will give you more clove.

Balance sounds good. I have not heard that about the amount of yeast doing that. I've heard fermenting temperture does.

You can always learn something coming to HBT! :rockin:

The stress you place on the yeast will affect the flavor it ends up producing. This is why a lager will have more diacetyl if you underpitch. It is used to the advantage of Hefe brewers or really any kind of belgian brewer, as some of those funky yeast flavors are to style and desirable.

Balance sounds good. I have not heard that about the amount of yeast doing that. I've heard fermenting temperture does.

You can always learn something coming to HBT! :rockin:

You're right. It's generally considered bad practice to rely on underpitching to produce your esters. It works, but there's other issues that arise from under or over pitching that you're better off trying to avoid. With a hefe yeast, you'll get banana from a warmer ferment and clove from one at the lower end of the range, so pitch the right amount of yeast, and ferment at the temps that produce the best balance for you (obviously, this means some trial and error). IME with that strain, starting cool and then allowing it to finish towards the top of the temp range will not only produce a nice balance of banana/clove, but will allow for the cleanest ferment, eliminating some of the funk (sulphur) that that strain can kick during fermentation.

Got my first starter made. :cool:

Thanks everyone!

image.jpg

Back