Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a way walks into my local watering hole and ask for the strongest flavored beer, he's promptly offered a mikkeller's cognac aged black hole and he decides to drink it. Takes a couple of licks and says how awesome it is, reads the label, sees coffee on it and says how he can't drink beers that have coffee in them. WTH?! he just took a taste and said it was mighty fine.

another man once gloated to all his friends (most of them drinking german lagers) how Fosters was the best beer in the world and renowed as such and that it was exactly like a corona, only just better.

Pshh...everyone knows it's pronounced "ippay"
in spanish is easier to pronounce "epah" than "ai-pi-ay" but i digress

I thought I had a funny one, only to find out many of you have run into a similar situation.

We were drinking one of my RIS brews, and my Brother in Law says "You know the thing I like about your beer is that it tastes more like an ale than a beer."

I've tried to explain it to him before, but he always spouts beer related information as if he is the authority on beer, yet while we were enjoying many craft beers over the holiday he shows up with a 40 of Pabst...it's quite amussing.

Gothgar said:
Problem is, every time I'm there now, with the wife or a friend, I jokingly call them eepah's. And Laugh to myself, I am sure someone has overheard me saying it, and thought I was an idiot.

My wife calls them Eepas always has since we got together

I was out drinking the other day. We got to talking about beer and this guy offered up a nifty trick of his. If you rub your finger on your face and then stir your beer with the same finger, all that pesky foam dissapears.

And I spend all this time researching head retention. :drunk:

I was out drinking the other day. We got to talking about beer and this guy offered up a nifty trick of his. If you rub your finger on your face and then stir your beer with the same finger, all that pesky foam dissapears.

I've scolded people for doing that.

TAK said:

Haha I used to do that, when I was 18 and drank bud light. Now that I think back on it, man that was sacrilegious.

TAK said:

You should've just told him a dirty glass will do the same thing. He's probably used top drinking out of freshly opened solo cups though.

Matt3989 said:
You should've just told him a dirty glass will do the same thing. He's probably used top drinking out of freshly opened solo cups though.

With the most serious face you can muster "I just sprinkle a little salt on it, and a little on the coaster to make it not stick" it's a Mexican thing.

A text I just received from my friend:

dude want to hear some funny stuff? being the beer snobs that we have become, it was classic....kayla and i went to monastery the other day, i ordered a count hopula *(Bloodred IPA)*or a devils ale *(strong pale ale)* i said ill have either....this ***** brings me out a mother effing AMBER BOCK, an amber bock dude!!! and she says "we were out of the other 2 but the bartender said this one is really similar"....ummm hellllllllll no! i said "do i look 16 again? i asked for a quality, local brew and you bring me this michelob made, mountains are blue type of bull****"...i mean C'MON MAN!!

I'm a beer merchandiser and today while working, a lady asked me for a beer recommendation for a party she was having. I told her that she can never go wrong with a good old Sam Adams Boston Lager. She then proceeded to say "Lager?? I don't think I could handle a lager. I'll just stick with Coors."

I'm a beer merchandiser and today while working, a lady asked me for a beer recommendation for a party she was having. I told her that she can never go wrong with a good old Sam Adams Boston Lager. She then proceeded to say "Lager?? I don't think I could handle a lager. I'll just stick with Coors."

Sigh... It's just people jumping to conclusions based on "knowledge" they've gained from listening to the masses.

"Indian food? NO THANK YOU! Too spicy!"

PFFFFT

I wonder what she thought a lager was...most of the people I've met who are uninformed on beer seem to make the associations that "lager=beer" and "ale=warm pirate grog=not beer".

I wonder what she thought a lager was...most of the people I've met who are uninformed on beer seem to make the associations that "lager=beer" and "ale=warm pirate grog=not beer".

on the same note, I run into a lot of people that think "home brew=prison toilet wine" and "BMC=beer and "everything else=fancy new made up beer". you know, like stout/porter/bock/blonde.

I run into the same thing a lot if I mention any kinda beer other than bmc I get told that they are not condisours of beer they just like "there" beer.

I run into the same thing a lot if I mention any kinda beer other than bmc I get told that they are not condisours of beer they just like "there" beer.

hahaha! the assumption that you have to be a stereotypical connoisseur to enjoy anything other than BMC or the cheapest party wine.

Read beer snob here. Even Craig mentioned on his last HB wednesday about the malt liquor crowd poo pooing us HB'rs like we think we're to good for that heavy sweet beer they love. Whatever floats your boat. I don't care for it.

on the same note, I run into a lot of people that think "home brew=prison toilet wine" and "BMC=beer and "everything else=fancy new made up beer". you know, like stout/porter/bock/blonde.

Haha, I know. My dad was like that when I first started enjoying craft beer. Somebody would bring, say, a honey wheat lager to a party, and he'd say to me, "did you see that beer? It has honey in it. Do you drink that kind of stuff?" (Make sure to read that with the proper tone of disdain, as if he had just been served a quiche with a side of tofu. ;))

Since then, he's warmed a bit to the idea. It probably helps that both myself and my sister's BF are big into homebrewed/craft beer. He'll at least try most things we come up with, and has even liked some of them, although I'm sure on some unspoken level he questions my sexuality for liking "fancy" beer.

Yeah...manly men drink real manly beers in manly places watching manly sports. Then we stand around joking & punching each other...sheesh.

Yeah...manly men drink real manly beers in manly places watching manly sports. Then we stand around joking & punching each other...sheesh.

yeah, and drinking with your buddies is always a contest to see who can drink the most the fastest.

that was the philosophy of my old boss in WY. a bunch of us were in a cigar bar in Deadwood, SD. I ordered a Goose Island Bourbon Stout & ordered him a Matilda. watching him trying to chug it was worth the price tag. :rockin:

I don't see it as more manly to brew my own. But I guess you could see it that way. Just another skill set to aquire. True about the who can drink the most & still get home in one piece & no tickets. But I like the looks when I'm drinking craft/imported beers while they drink BMC's. Bdubs is a good place to observe such behavior on fridays. Better than cartoons!

paraphrased from a friend:
"I want you to close your eyes and picture something, okay? Picture that hot chick at the gym, the one that should be a model. She walks up to you. Smells like pine needles. really fresh. You're just standing there, and she pops a caramel into your mouth, takes a bite out of a pineapple, and kisses you. That's what heady topper is"

"I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer."

The first time I tried Blue Moon I tossed the orange wedge with a frown and barely stomached it. I was a Bud drinker then. I really like Blue Moon now, especially their honey wheat, which I've been trying hard to replicate w/o much success.

Blue Moon isn't my favorite. I'll choose an IPA, amber, porter, stout, etc. first, but there are so many places that a special beer is a Blue Moon, in which it gives me something better than a typical ole BMC.

"I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer."

The first time I tried Blue Moon I tossed the orange wedge with a frown and barely stomached it. I was a Bud drinker then. I really like Blue Moon now, especially their honey wheat, which I've been trying hard to replicate w/o much success.

Blue Moon isn't my favorite. I'll choose an IPA, amber, porter, stout, etc. first, but there are so many places that a special beer is a Blue Moon, in which it gives me something better than a typical ole BMC.

I drank Blue Moon for a while. It's not the best or the worst wheat beer but it started giving me really bad headaches, even if I only drank half a bottle. So I quit drinking it because getting headaches off one beer is pretty dumb. I don't hate on people drinking Shocktop either (although the IPA nonsense is pretty funny IMO) but I find it entirely too sweet to stomach myself.

If asked I usually recommend a hefe or proper wit over either of the two.

Billy-Klubb said:
yeah, and drinking with your buddies is always a contest to see who can drink the most the fastest.

that was the philosophy of my old boss in WY. a bunch of us were in a cigar bar in Deadwood, SD. I ordered a Goose Island Bourbon Stout & ordered him a Matilda. watching him trying to chug it was worth the price tag. :rockin:

That reminds me of one of my coworkers. We went to a training class and at dinner one night I ordered an Arrogant Bastard. Fancying himself a beer drinking (he LOVES Michelob Ultra...) he ordered one, too. I tried to talk him out of it but no luck. I had to pour it for him. Then he decided to take a few quick chugs. That face was priceless :-D

"I want you to close your eyes and picture something, okay? Picture that hot chick at the gym, the one that should be a model. She walks up to you. Smells like pine needles. really fresh. You're just standing there, and she pops a caramel into your mouth, takes a bite out of a pineapple, and kisses you. That's what heady topper is"

This made a tear roll down my cheek...beautiful.

Man, I'm going to the wrong gym.

Man, I'm going to the wrong gym.

When I was living in Berlin, the local gym had separate changing rooms but a co-ed sauna and showers outside the sauna. Problem was, at this particular gym, you didn't want to see ANY of them naked.

So very disappointing.

BrewOnBoard

Funny thing I heard once (though I didn't think it was all that funny at the time) was when I offered a guest a beer while living on my boat in Seattle. I offered him a few selections from Red Hook and Pyramid, and knowing that he wasn't a beer aficionado I even recommended one and gave simple descriptions of each.

The response? "Got anything made in America?"

I was a touch insulted as I would happily choke down a bud light if offered at someone's house rather than be rude and reject their hospitality. I responded, "Ummm... they're both made less than 25miles from here."

That got a shrug and a "No thanks."

I've also been to restaurants where things like SNPA are listed with the "imports" and not the "domestics" :confused:

BrewOnBoard

Just got back from the store where I found myself face to face with a BMC drinker. We were sitting there next to each other at a floor stand of beer, they had a bunch of craft beer bombers on the bottom, some winter 12 packs in the middle and the BMC on top.

I grab a bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout and the guy next to me goes,

"Man, cappuccino? I couldn't drink something with a bunch of stuff like that added to it."

I said its brewed with real coffee and there are a lot of beers brewed with coffee. Its not abnormal.

He grabs a bud light lime pack and says "Beer should be simple."

"Beer makes you fat"

This is ********......its not the beer...its all the food we eat while consuming beer! Beer has no fat in it! :D

It is not the fat content but the calorie count that make you fat.

Back