Which thermowell for STC1000 probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
Subject pretty much says it all. Just got a couple of STC-1000s from eBay (I bought this one: this one FWIW). Going to put the probe in a water-filled container in my keezer but not sure where to source an appropriately sized thermowell. Probe tip is about 6.1mm at it's widest.

Thanks,
Eric

STC-1000 first showed up as "Aquarium temp controller".
The probe is water proof,so if not going into any wort.You can use it "AS IS".

STC-1000 first showed up as "Aquarium temp controller". The probe is water proof,so if not going into any wort.You can use it "AS IS".

Very interesting! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

@HDIr0n - Regarding Mainland Valve & Fitting -- I've purchased all of my SS fitting from them. Great company to work with!

Not sure if he probe can fit in the thermowell and I could be way off cause i never used or even seen a TW in person but possibly you can put some water in the thermowell and if the probe fits into it the water in the TW will become around the same as the wort and give you an accurate temp..correct me if im wrong on how tw works

Im trying to source an thermo probe for my STC 1000 (didnt come with one - second hand). Can I just buy a any NTC 10K Ohm 3435 probe and solder 2 meters of wire to them to connect to my controller? Does the length of wire make a difference on the reading? I don't know much about electronics.

I am not going to be putting this in my beer or submersing in liquids. I'm not trying to save a buck, the only stc 1000 probe sold separately I see on ebay only ships to US addresses and I need to get something in Japan.

If you really want to use a thermowell, you can get a replacement probe. Supposedly they are are using a NTC 10KOhm @ 25C, 3435 Beta probe. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20318

You can get a replacement probe that can slide into a >5mm thermowell pretty easily. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-NTC-10K-10K-1-3435-Temperature-Temp-Sensor-Probe-Thermometer-Waterproof-/261131047830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc9f9396

Why not just use an old yeast bottle ( white labs ) just drill a hole in cap and tape to side of keezer.
Mine works fine.
Jim

kayakman said:
Why not just use an old yeast bottle ( white labs ) just drill a hole in cap and tape to side of keezer.
Mine works fine.
Jim

For fermentation - this will get you poor control, or at least inconsistent. It's better and more controlled to measure the temperature I the fermentation as opposes to the air (or other non fermenting liquid in this case). Measuring the air may also lead to cooling of the beer towards the end of fermentation right when it's best for the temperature to rise a bit to keep the yeast active.

It's better and more controlled to measure the temperature I the fermentation as opposes to the air (or other non fermenting liquid in this case).

I just built a fermentation chamber myself, and have been debating this internally for a while. I very much want to believe that a thermowell (and measuring the beer temperature directly) is better, but I can't really find any authoritative sources, nor experimental results supporting either method. Of course, even 200 years ago they didn't have fancy temperature controls, so fermentation techniques seem likely to have developed with respect to ambient temp rather than wort temp.

Does anyone have any real data on the air vs wort temp debate?

Sorry if I'm dragging the thread too far off topic...

Back