Bottling bucket leaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huey1N

Reaction score
So I bought a brand new bottling bucket and was using it for fermentation. I left it alone in my basement for two weeks, didn't touch it once, only checked to see how it was bubbling. On the day I was going to bottle it, I walked downstairs to find the bucket leaking from around the spigot. Not even slowly leaking, gushing, so that all five gallons of beer ended up all over the floor. Needless to say I was devastated. Has this ever happened to anyone else??? It was a brand spanking new bucket and didn't show any signs of leaking prior to that. The beer was a brown porter, if that means anything.

This.^

When I used to bottle (full-time kegerator now), I made it a rule to water test the bottling bucket EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I bottled. Tighten the spigot by hand, take a channel lock if necessary, but always water test it. You never know when that bastard of a rubber washer will decide to go south on you.

Too loose or too tight & they leak. Over-tightening causes the seal to squeeze out from under the seal flange on the back of the spigot. Loosen it up,then tighten it down just untill snug. Kinda firm but NOT TIGHT. It will then seal. I do this,as all my fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. No leaks,even under pressure from stuck blow offs.

too loose or too tight & they leak. Over-tightening causes the seal to squeeze out from under the seal flange on the back of the spigot. Loosen it up,then tighten it down just untill snug. Kinda firm but not tight. It will then seal. I do this,as all my fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. No leaks,even under pressure from stuck blow offs.

this.

For bottling, half an hour would suffice. I wouldn't recommend using a bottling bucket for fermenting for several reasons, one of which being the chance of it leaking...

This. Use a fermenting bucket for fermenting, and a bottling bucket for bottling.

Back