Can someone give me advice on this Simcoe/Amarillo Belgian IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking:

Mash @ 151:
13 lbs 2-row
1 lb Munich
0.5 Crystal 40

Boil:
60 - 1 oz Magnum
30 - 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Amarillo
15 - 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Amarillo
5 - 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Amarillo
0 - 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Amarillo
1 lb Cane Sugar

Dry hop 7 days - 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Amarillo

Yeast:
T-58 - 2 days @ 70 *F
S-05 - 10 days @ 70 *F

I'm aiming for a good IIPA with a little bit of a Belgian kick. Any advice?

Never used that t-58 yeast, but description seems right on.

For some inspiration about the rest of recipe, look at yoopers dogfish 60 recipe, as it is close.

I don't think I understand your yeast "schedule." When/why are you using the S-05?

The 30 minute addition also seems unnecessary. Move it up to 20 or 15 of you want flavor, or move it back some if you crave bitterness. It's in that in between land now that gives only some of each. I think you'd get better use of your hops to commit to one or the other, unless you just have hops to burn, anyway. If you do, you could always send some to me.:)

Well, the theory was to pitch T-58, wait a couple days, then pitch S-05. Basically I want to get a little bit of a Belgian flavor, but not too much. I guess alternatively I could split the batch and blend them later..

Agree on the 30 minute additions, I've stopped doing those. I only do a 60/90 or FWH and then nothing until 15 minutes unless I'm follow some mission critical recipe that can't be deviated from under penalty.

As for the yeast, I'd just play with the fermenting temp to get what you want from the Belgian yeast. Don't know the T-58, but in general I'm thinking maybe you want to go on the cool side (low 60's) to mute it somewhat.

You could also suppress that "belgian flavor" by increasing your pitching rate and/or decreasing your fermentation temperature.

thegerm said:
You could also suppress that "belgian flavor" by increasing your pitching rate and/or decreasing your fermentation temperature.

Schwiiing! Finally someone says it! That is exactly what I would do.

Back