Trying a "Berry Apfelwein"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copernicus

Reaction score
After having our second child 4 months ago and going on a brewing hiatus, I am easing back into it with an easy cider recipe I mixed up today. Here's the ingredient list I used:

4 gallons Kirkland Apple Juice (no preservatives, from concentrate)
1/2 gallon White House Apple Juice (no preservatives, from concentrate, just didn't have another Kirkland)
1/2 gallon Ocean Spray Cranberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, 5 juice blend (no preservatives, from concentrate)
2 lb Turbinado Sugar
5 gm packet of Côte de Blancs wine yeast

I plan to bulk age in the carboy for at least 3 months, then at least another couple months in the bottles. I'm curious to see how this turns out with the berry blend and will report back on it in the Fall. Next weekend...Father's Day beer brew-a-thon?

I did a batch of mixed berry stuff from old orchard. I put a vanilla bean in for a week. Initially it was way to tart to drink. After about 10-12 months it tasted like juice. It had my wife wishing I hadn't given so much of it away!

The first batch of Apfelwine that I made is almost 6 months old and still a little tart, but mix it with equal parts OJ and Cranberry juice and oh man we have a winner :ban: ! I have it on tap and it carbed up nicely.

Back