bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butler1244

Reaction score
I bottled a copper ale a couple weeks ago and have all the bottles in my fridge. It takes up the whole bottom shelf pretty much. I'm about to bottle a hefe and was wondering if that other beer isn't finished by the time I need to put the new brew in, can I take it out and store it around 60-65 degrees in my basement?

The brew in my fridge now is my first brew. I would have no problems finishing it if I liked it more. It's been a struggle to get through because I'm drinking it myself basically. I'm not proud enough of it to give it away.

If taking the bottles out of the fridge is a problem, for future reference do I just store for around 3 weeks @ 70 then store them room temp? Then when I want to drink them I just put them in the fridge for 48 hours before?

I bottled a copper ale a couple weeks ago and have all the bottles in my fridge. It takes up the whole bottom shelf pretty much. I'm about to bottle a hefe and was wondering if that other beer isn't finished by the time I need to put the new brew in, can I take it out and store it around 60-65 degrees in my basement?

The brew in my fridge now is my first brew. I would have no problems finishing it if I liked it more. It's been a struggle to get through because I'm drinking it myself basically. I'm not proud enough of it to give it away.

If taking the bottles out of the fridge is a problem, for future reference do I just store for around 3 weeks @ 70 then store them room temp? Then when I want to drink them I just put them in the fridge for 48 hours before?

No need to put your ales in the fridge until a few days before your ready to drink them. They will age better at 65-70 than they will in the fridge.

I keep full cases on a shelf in my basement and move sixers to a dorm fridge about a few days a head. No problems yet.

I didn't think they would uncarb. I was just worried it would create off flavors. I know "skunking" only happens with extreme temp changes but I wasn't sure if anyone else could happen. I guess I'll just take some out and make room for my next batch.

Thanks for your replies

Skunking usually comes from being exposed to light. The hot/cold storage only really applies to BMC in my opinion. As long as your not freezing or boiling you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back